• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

manual window problem

benXJ

NAXJA Forum User
ok...i looked through 20 or 30 posts searching for similar problems, and it seems many have had problems with the manual windows 'stripping' or being very hard to roll up. i have a 96 and the passenger side window will go 3/4 down easily but then start to bind. usually thats where i left it and no problem, now the window is harder to roll down and now the mechanism is stripped. what exactly is stripped? i turn the crank with the window down and it makes a ratcheting sound. if i pull up on the window while cranking it will go up, but as soon as i let tension off the window, the crank slips and just turns while trying to grab hold. i took the panel and insulation off to get a 'good' view, and then lubed everything, but it got worse, which i was expecting, since it seems to be stripped. what needs to be replaced, and should it be a new and/or dealer part, or is it more economical to get a used part from someone or the junkyard? i guess i could go to the junkyard and find a working window and get those parts, but who knows how long that would last. what is the best route to take?

thanks

so is the gear stripped or does the part that the slides inside the tube stripped? i read somewhere that the piece inside the metal tube is plastic?

benXJ said:
so is the gear stripped or does the part that the slides inside the tube stripped? i read somewhere that the piece inside the metal tube is plastic?

Should be the part inside the tube that has a flat spot. The window only gets stalled at the section of the cord that is flat spotted. If it was the drive gear, it should skip once every revolution of your window crank. I can't say what material your part would be made of, but on my '88 it is a steel coil that is wrapped around a fiber material, no plastic. It was also very rusted...

Back