• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle-end Track-bar bolt: Any secret for nut removal?

XpedientJ

NAXJA Forum User
Stripping down a D30 for sandblasting, and it has a decent adjustable track-bar attached...which is worth saving. Are there any secrets to capturing the nut on the retaining bolt, which is relatively inaccessible?? A PO used a long-enough bolt that even a box wrench with 'modified' handle is not an option...

I'm fairly creative with the use and application of tools, but nothing proper and affective was coming to mind in the little while I spent on it... Of course, if I rotate the axle 180-degrees on the jack stands for better access, it might make some difference.

Any ideas/experience will be much appreciated.

im having the same problem with keeping mine tight. im thinking about tack welding the nut... but i :dunno: i dont really want to do that. my buddy has an open ended wrench where the wrench part is 90° from the handle i'll be trying that tomorrow.

A half grab with the wrench and air and an impact gun on the bolt... no problems...well unless you don't have air and an impact gun.

I had the same problem
Here's what I did:
Crowbar.jpg

I used a large tire iron at 1st then grabbed a smaller crowbar and placed it in the small openeing where the nut is. After that I had a buddy hold the crowbar in place so that it was on its side and the foot of the crow bar rested on the side of the nut and the other sode was against the wall of the opening. While he held it there I grabbed a ratchet and ratcheted my little arms off.

You should go back to the dealer and get the stock bot as it had a tab on it to keep it in place for easy removal. the tab stuck out from that opening about 2". you can make one at home if you have the tools.
Good Luck!

Yes, axle (s) is at a friend's garage...thus, air/impact is available... One forget's the inertial benefits of air-tools...:) I'll give that a try, as I likely woulda anyway, when I got back to fussing with it...

Thanks much.

I would recommend using locktight on the bolt when you put it back in. I completely lost the bold on a dirt road earlier this week. I had tightened the bolt the night before.

WaXJ_Skier said:
I would recommend using locktight on the bolt when you put it back in. I completely lost the bold on a dirt road earlier this week. I had tightened the bolt the night before.
Try using a nylock nut and it won't back off and you can still tighten the crap out of it.

If the air impact still has the nut turning you might try a pipe wrench.

I usually jam a prybar into the opening of the bracket that is closet to the diff. The prybar will be parallel tot he axle tube, then a few good hits with a hammer jams the prybar in there against the nut and I am able to tighten/loosen the bolt without the nut spinning.

The best thing to do when you have it out is to weld a tab to the nut, that way it can't spin

I ground down a side of the nut so that it would fit in the largest open end wrench I could fit in there. Put wrench through slot that is kinda on top, and tighten the piss outta it.

Back