• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4th at Rimrock

KarlVP

NAXJA Forum User
A brief synopsis of the trip.

I got to Bakeoven flats about 6 on Tuesday afternoon. Tony, Ken, and Dan were there at camp, so I unloaded and got set up.

Wednesday we wheeled Narrowneck Gap, and then on down to blue slide. I forgot my camera, but Dan has a video of me doing a pretty fancy wheelstand on one of the obstacles on Narrowneck. Mike took out his fuel pump and in the process of trying to get it to level ground, he burned up his starter soleniod too. After getting himself off the trail, he got the rig fixed and was ready for another day. We headed to camp and had a beer or 10.

Our Motley Crew.

dsc03087ow6.jpg

Thursday we headed for Pucker Ridge. Ken took up the lead and we slowly traversed the off camber, steep trail.

Here’s Dan heading across it with Kenny as ballast. The pictures do not do this justice.

dsc03090bj2.jpg

We got a little further up the trail, and there was a tree down. All but Kenny had to winch through it.

dsc03103gl9.jpg

dsc03095gm3.jpg

Almost to the top.

dsc03097nk5.jpg

Dan coming through one of the “tippy” parts.

dsc03093oo3.jpg

Kenny on his way up.

dsc03106sx3.jpg

The final climb up the biggest hill. Ken made it up, and I started and then he said to stop because there was a tree down across it. I had to stop right in the middle of the climb and I couldn’t get momentum back up with my 4 cylinders of fury so I had to winch it.

dsc03099kn5.jpg

Here’s Dan pulling cable so I can winch my candy ass up.

dsc03109fw5.jpg

And here’s Kenny cresting the top.

dsc03110hp5.jpg

dsc03112sf5.jpg

One of my favorite pictures of the trip.

dsc03100ce7.jpg

We got further up the trail, and there were some trees down. Ken broke out the chainsaw and we started clearing them.

dsc03115tt5.jpg

We got around the next corner, and realized we were in over our heads with only one chainsaw. There were probably about 50 blow-downs within 100 yards.

dsc03116ah1.jpg

We turned around and wend down the trail. Then we headed for the lake to go swimming.

After that we got back to camp and made a fire the easy way. Lighter fluid and an empty case of Ranier.

dsc03121st7.jpg

Burn, baby, burn.

dsc03122da4.jpg

Mmmmm, dinner.

dsc03124yo2.jpg

Frank, trying to figure out how to get him some dinner too.

dsc03126bb2.jpg

Chef Mike.

dsc03129qs1.jpg

Broken Driveline and peanuts anyone?

dsc03131wr6.jpg

Friday we had to head into town to get parts to fix Mike’s CJ-8. So we got a late start on the day. In the afternoon we ran the 642 (Butcher Knife I think it’s called).

dsc03134wa2.jpg

I broke my transmission mount climbing this. So we ratchet strapped the tranny down and limped it back to camp.

dsc03136uq4.jpg

By the time we got back to camp, it was dark and Chris was already asleep.

dsc03144tj5.jpg

Mmmm…. Sausage. (I thought of Matt while cooking up these tasty links)

dsc03146zu2.jpg

Clay and his son (From Eastern Washington Off Road) stopped by on Friday night and we talked Jeep stuff and had beers around the fire.

That’s about it. I packed up and headed out this morning because of the broken tranny mount. I’m bummed I didn’t take more pictures, but I was too busy wheelin. It was a most excellent trip had with most excellent people. I can’t wait for the next 4th of July trip.

IXNAYXJ said:
Nice pics...there are sure some off camber spots there. And I'm sure the pics (as always) don't do it justice. Only question...where's all the snow? ;)

-----Matt-----

We never got there. I broke before the snow run. A group ran the divde, short and dirty, and up to darland mountain to the snow. I would have been with them but I had to come home due to the broken tranny mount.

KarlVP said:
We never got there. I broke before the snow run. A group ran the divde, short and dirty, and up to darland mountain to the snow. I would have been with them but I had to come home due to the broken tranny mount.
I wonder where they hit snow. We ran the top of Divide Ridge from Darland to Louie Way and only saw a few small patches in the trees on Foundation Ridge.

Great pics. How about posting them up on EWOR to show the local boys.

It was nice to see you Karl. I hope you can make it out with us on a run soon.

Back