• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Evans Veterans' Run, 8July07

IXNAYXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Myself and John90XJ are going to be going up to Evans creek tomorrow to investigate trails we're not familiar with. These are the trails the Forest Service is intending on closing, according to their new "forest Plan" that was discussed as the meeting last week. In addition, we'll also be doing the old favorites as usual, as well as giving John's new 8.8/ARB a shake down run.

If anyone wants to go, we'll be meeting in Wilkeson at 0930, departing at 1000 Sunday morning. As the title suggests, this run is only suitable for Evans Creek ORV veterans. One TAD would be advisable...we are looking to be making decent time and won't want to spend a lot of time on extractions.

See ya there-

-----Matt-----

Here's why I suggest at least one TAD:

CIMG1432.JPG

Yessss, sweet pic! who is that? :)

Maybe I'm just being me, but what does TAD stand for? (temporary assigned duty?) Former military will laugh, no one else :)

Traction Assistance Device.

adamusmc2002 said:
what all did you discover??
We discovered the back road into Evan's is a trail in and of itself. It's steep and full of holes and not a road one would want to use on a regular basis. I can see why the Forest Service is interested in closing it.

The 120 trail they would be closing, due to the road closing that provides access to it, is not really significant. It's a loop that takes you off the road and back to it. It's not terribly difficult, maybe a 2.5 of 5.

We ran 519 to the top and then 311 to the top after spending some time speaking with a FS ranger about Forest Passes and mudflaps.

They were in the staging area at the bottom of 311 talking to everyone about Forest Passes. Matt provided him several pieces of paper that vaguely resembled some lint from his pocket after it went through the wash. That apparently was acceptable. I showed him mine from 10 feet away and he said OK. The third guy with us for the day that we met in Wilkeson was written up with a warning, no fine, because we griped that he was a licensed vehicle and we were told to stop. The Ranger told us we needed a pass if camping or parking a tow rig and they looked at it as a user fee for everyone else. He never definitively stated that one was required to use the trails in a licensed vehicle which was my argument for not needing one. There will be more on this later as I'm getting a hold of his supervisor to drill it down once and for all.

They were looking at violations of the flaps/flares rules and I'm uncertain if they can write a citation....I believe not. However, we confirmed with him that his F-150 was also out of compliance and that seemed to be an ironic state to be in while discussing this with violators. The conversation seemed to move onto things we could agree on like trail maintenance and litter control.

It was a good discussion and we made sure he remembered us. ;)

And BTW, the mutual respect policy between the Evans trees and the Woody appears to have been terminated. We rolled through the gnarly little section of 311 that has gotten so much worse over the years where you need to ride right up against the root ball. I punched in the rear door and the THOR guards worked great, once the obstacle got to them.

This picture is AFTER straightening the trim and pounding out the door from the inside with a 2x4.

evansdamage.JPG

We discussed with the Ranger getting some rock up there to fill in that section so people would use it and stay off the bypass. We'll see how that discussion proceeds.

Last edited:
Only got a couple of pics:

Bumperetc013.jpg

We came in the back way and went up the 120 trail first, something neither John nor I had ever done. And probably won't do again. VERY easy, with the biggest challenge being dodging the overgrown brush.

After that dissapointment, we actually found a decent beginner's trail just down the road, #199. There were a couple of challenging tight corners and a couple of spots where I needed 4WD. Great spot for more stock vehicles to play.

Then we ran 519 to the Log Pile, but were unable to locate the cool obstacle we had so much fun on at Oktoberfest:

EvansCreek052.jpg

I screwed around on the logs for a while, making it almost all the way through, and it was only a desire to to jack up my D/S that prevented me from getting really heavy with the stupid pedal. Still had some fun and manufactured a few yards of beauty bark. :D

After lunch there, we headed down to run 311 on the way out. When we got to the trailhead, a Forest Ranger flagged me down. He walked over and informed me he would be citing me for theft of forest property. I stared at him for a moment, dumbstruck. "Wha..What?" I asked.

He pulled a branch off my rack that had snagged on one of the more overgrown trails we'd run. Then he laughed and said he was just kidding, but did need to see my Forest Pass. "No sweat," I said and started searching around my floor boards. Sheepishly I showed him what I had:

Bumperetc.jpg

The victim of several floodings and one fire, there wasn't much left. Luckily, he said it would be okay, but to have a new one next time I came up. One of the other folks in our group wasn't so lucky and got cited for not having one.

This is where John started getting a little pissed, as it is his and my understanding that a pass is only required if you're parked or camping. John expressed his confusion, to which the Ranger (who looked as if he'd hit puberty about three hours previous) told us that they "like to look at it as a day-use fee."

Who cares what they "like to look at it as," that's not what the rules are. There was even a sign 45 feet away on the message board that read: "NW Forest Pass must be displayed on windshield when parked at this location."

"Well, I see three Jeeps that are parked right now," Dudly Doo-Right responds a little shakily. Sure sounded like entrapment to John and I; make someone pull over and park, then cite them for pulling over and parking...? Kinda shitty, IMHO. We mentioned it to him, but with no comeback, he started picking our rigs apart; flares not extending far enough to cover tires, no mud flaps, the usual.

This is where it got really funny; John's cousin (who was riding along) is a veratible law library of vehicular infraction codes (presumeably having recieved many of them himself). He (very cagily) asked the Ranger, "So the law is that the flaps have to extend to the centerline of the rear axle, right...?" Meanwhile, John is pulling out the WSP codes and reciting them, including RCWs.

"That is my understanding," the Ranger said vaugely, as if sensing the trap. "So that means your truck is in violation...right?" As if a tennis match, all eyes swept over to his FS truck, and sure enough, no flaps. It was something out of a John Grisham novel; first get them to agree with you, then make 'em eat their words. He got a lot nicer after that.

Anyway, despite this he still gave the other guy in our group the citation, but let us go. So let this be a warning; on weekends be prepared to have flaps, flares, lic. plates front and rear, and a forest pass...AT THE MINUMUM.

And beware, Matt's Tree Stump of Doom on 311 has really gotten bad. I defy anyone to take the lower, more challenging line w/o damage. So far it's 5/5 XJs that have gone through there, all Evans veterans, and all have done some damage. I got my rear quarter panel in front of the THOR guards again, and John caved in his door and scraped off some of his wood paneling.

-----Matt-----

Nice job, guys. I'll vouch for Matt's tree-stump-of-doom....apparently it mistook me for him.

CIMG1457.JPG

- Jay

That spot is beyond fun....it's just a nuisance now. I'm working on a dumptruck and some rock so we can start fixing a few of those areas.

Avanteone said:
TAD = Traction aiding device (locker)

Since we are correcting each other and getting "Picky".

I was under the impression that:
TAD=Traction Aiding Device (which could be a limited slip, locker, or spool?)

Is my impression right or am I mis-informed?

Michael

Looks like you guys had fun! I can't believe that rock is gone Matt. It has to be there (you just couldn't find it?).

I have had several situation with the Rangers up there as well and it never seems that the rules are that clear. However, I have always had a pass with me, because I think it is the safest way to have less issues with them than asking for them to pick everything else apart;)

Michael

2xtreme said:
I have had several situation with the Rangers up there as well and it never seems that the rules are that clear. However, I have always had a pass with me, because I think it is the safest way to have less issues with them than asking for them to pick everything else apart;)

Michael

It's becoming more of a "get out of jail free" card than anything else. Got to show the rangers some love.

2xtreme said:

Looks like you guys had fun! I can't believe that rock is gone Matt. It has to be there (you just couldn't find it?).

Michael
To me a TAD is exactly that...something that aids traction. It is my understanding that both spools and LS's would fall under that category.

As to the rock, I'm sure it's still there, we just didn't go down the right spur on 519. Really looking forward to getting back there to play some more.

-----Matt-----

2xtreme said:

I was using the locker just as an example. TAD would include all of the items mentioned.

J

2xtreme said:

Michael

Ummmmmm, I was messin with John. No one was getting "Picky"

Please refer to SMILEY FACE ON REPLY.

Thanks, that is all.

PS Matt, are you following my post to make comments back at them? :D.

Last edited:
mud1059 said:
If you took 199 then you went right around the rock face you were looking for. I was there on Wednesday. It's there.

Noobs :)
Nice job on the smiley Paul. ;)

I'm pretty sure I know where I should have turned, but we had a rig with us I was quickly losing confidence in and didn't really feel like playing explorer. Maybe you can show me where it is sometime...after we run 311, of course. :D

-----Matt-----

I've been practicing! Sounds like a plan - if I ever get my PITA tow rig running right.
Here's my "directions" since I make a crappy mechanic. Follow 7920 forever, there's a "playground" to the left while the road continues to the right. Eventually there's a way to the right (519) It's overgrown right now and the beginning is nothing but a LONG ass hill. That's 519.
We had a yota crap a clutch on that rock face while in the tripod/bipod position 1/2 a dozen times.

Back