• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wheelin' Death in the Tri-Cities

Please wear your seat belts.

We need all the wheelin' fans we can get to support the cause, vote in elections and tell us how we should drive. So if you won't wear a seat belt for yourself please wear it for our sakes.

There have been way too many of these articles this year.

I keep thinking this is a safer sport than others I used to be involved with, yet I am constantly amazed at the number of fatalities. What is the best restraint system? 5 point?

if your rig is a daily driver 4 or 5 point harnesses are a pain, and if you look around online, there are as many if not more spinal injuries associated with 4 or 5 point harnesses than with your standard 3 point, most people do not know how to properly install the harness, wear them wrong etc. in fact last summer after a couple bad sand car crashes in so. cal. crow recalled some of its two into 1 Y style harnesses due to the higher stresses placed on bodies in an accident. In fact two deaths were attributed to the fact that the bar the harnesses were attached to were deformed in the crash.

Now, I can see the replies coming "why do racers use them" because they are properly installed, they wear them properly and when used the way they are supposed to be they are much more secure than a standard 3 point belt.

lap belts in my opinion are not sufficient protection.

having said that I have 5 points in my baja, but it also has a full cage, and I generally am wearing a helmet.

black89xj said:
Just saw this on the Tri-City Herald web site (video included):

http://www.tri-cityherald.com/tch/local/story/9112346p-9028555c.html

I've been to Hover Park several times and wheeled that same hill. From the looks of it, its not the worst hill there by a long shot. Maybe sams88 can give some more insight.

Just goes to show the hazards of our sport.

--Karl

One of those things that is hard to tell unless you were there to watch it. They said it was a freak accident.... As for the seat belt thing, I sold my 73 cj5 a while back. Those buggers only have a lap belt in them. Once you start spinning/rolling, the upper torso is just a rag doll. Add to that no doors. Really an unfortunate thing. As Karl mentioned, the hill is one of the main trails out there and about everyone around here that 4x4's has done that trail many many times. A very tragic reminder that none of us are immune to accidents and that we do participate in a dangerous pastime.

Back