• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 overdrive problems

scottanchee

NAXJA Forum User
Well after months of intermittent problems with my overdrive , I think she finally gave up the ghost . Once in a while the overdrive would not work , the check engine light would come on and I would pull over , turn my XJ off restart it then the over drive would work , now that doesn't solve the problem , I tried it
This morning it still was not working from the night before ,I pulled over turned her off , started it back up and when I got up to speed the overdrive worked for a min . kicked down to drive an and hasn't worked since
Anyone have any idea's on what my prob might be ?
Its a 97 XJ with 140 km's ( aprox 90 miles )
The TPS was changed june 10 th

To me this sounds like a problem inside the tranny. Older tranny's use a maze like contaption which is powered by the pressure of the fluid to decide what combination of gears you need. Newer ones are computer controled.
This doesn't sound like a simple "replace-a-part" fix. If you are looking just to replace defective parts such as the computer or trans it could be just a bit expensive depending on the quality of your parts.
A rebuild of your trans could be very expensive or time consuming if you do it your self. For an experienced person it could take 8 hrs to rebuild, however it could also cost a grand or more to have it done.
just my $.02. Hope I was of help.

Actually, the AW4 is a computer controlled transmission. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the AW4 has 3 solenoids that are controlled by the TCU. According to my FSM the number 3 solenoid controls the OD. This sounds like an electrical problem. Try disconnecting the TCU and see if it shifts manually. Once the TCU is disconnected, it won't move if the lever is in 'D', you'll have to start in 1-2 and up shift to 'D'. Also, remember with the TCU disconnected OD will not operate. If it shifts manually, you have an electrical problem. OD is computer controlled in the AW4, it is not mechanically controlled. I hope this helps! Good luck!

The first thing to do is see what code the computer is throwing. More than likely that will tell you exactly what the problem is. I'm guessing a bad t/c solenoid or perhaps TPS sensor.

lawsoncl said:
The first thing to do is see what code the computer is throwing. More than likely that will tell you exactly what the problem is. I'm guessing a bad t/c solenoid or perhaps TPS sensor.

He already replaced the TPS on June 10th.

Sounds like you are getting all 4 gears, but not getting the TC lock up, which is easly confused (sort of feels the same) with engagement of the 4th OD gear. If you are getting gears 1,2 & 3 then the solenoids #1 & 2 that allow you to get gears 1,2 & 3 must be working which means OD must also be working (unless the internal OD clutch is bad, which is doubtful). Solenoid #3 controls TC lock up which normally engages in third gear if it gets the chance (it must be at a steady speed in third gear), but du ring acceleration is delayed until 4th (OD) gear when you reach a contstant speed.

Sounds like its time to test the #3 solenoid resistance to ground, power off, should be something like 11- 15 ohms. If it is OK, then the TCU wire from the TCU to the number 3 solenoid is the next most likely suspect. It should also read 11 -15 ohms to ground. It is pin #C14 on the TCU cable. It is easiest to check the TCU pin C14 and veryify the solenoid and wiring all at once. If the resistance is too high or low, then check it at the transmission itself. You need to pull the tranny pan to get directly to the elcectric solenoid, but you could check the wiring at the tranny connection before droping the pan.

Also check the ground wire on the TCU side of the TPS to the battery negative post ground. It should read less than 1 ohm. Then check the TCU ground wire the same way, it should be less than 1 ohm to ground. On the TCU bulk connector the TPS ground is Pin D3. D7 is the other TCU ground.

Also check the brake light switch, if the brake lights are stuck on, the brake light switch is stuck on and the TC will never lock up as the TCU reads the brake switch to unlock the TC.

The TCU on the older jeeps is just behind the lower dash trim under the glove box, little silver box, pasenger side, and is probalby still located there on the 97, if not someone will post a correction.

Neutral safety switch also tells the computer where the shifter, so the electrical problem could be there as well.

That should keep you busy for a while....let us know what you find.

Ecomike said:
He already replaced the TPS on June 10th.

Sounds like you are getting all 4 gears, but not getting the TC lock up, which is easly confused (sort of feels the same) with engagement of the 4th OD gear. If you are getting gears 1,2 & 3 then the solenoids #1 & 2 that allow you to get gears 1,2 & 3 must be working which means OD must also be working (unless the internal OD clutch is bad, which is doubtful). Solenoid #3 controls TC lock up which normally engages in third gear if it gets the chance (it must be at a steady speed in third gear), but du ring acceleration is delayed until 4th (OD) gear when you reach a contstant speed.

Sounds like its time to test the #3 solenoid resistance to ground, power off, should be something like 11- 15 ohms. If it is OK, then the TCU wire from the TCU to the number 3 solenoid is the next most likely suspect. It should also read 11 -15 ohms to ground. It is pin #C14 on the TCU cable. It is easiest to check the TCU pin C14 and veryify the solenoid and wiring all at once. If the resistance is too high or low, then check it at the transmission itself. You need to pull the tranny pan to get directly to the elcectric solenoid, but you could check the wiring at the tranny connection before droping the pan.

Also check the ground wire on the TCU side of the TPS to the battery negative post ground. It should read less than 1 ohm. Then check the TCU ground wire the same way, it should be less than 1 ohm to ground. On the TCU bulk connector the TPS ground is Pin D3. D7 is the other TCU ground.

Also check the brake light switch, if the brake lights are stuck on, the brake light switch is stuck on and the TC will never lock up as the TCU reads the brake switch to unlock the TC.

The TCU on the older jeeps is just behind the lower dash trim under the glove box, little silver box, pasenger side, and is probalby still located there on the 97, if not someone will post a correction.

Neutral safety switch also tells the computer where the shifter, so the electrical problem could be there as well.

That should keep you busy for a while....let us know what you find.
Yeah, you're right, I confused OD with TC lock up, but I was on the right track I think.

Ecomike is right, this sounds like a TC lockup issue to me. I was having a similar issue the other day, turned out to be a loose electrical connection.

See what your RPMs are at for 60 MPH right now, with the problem. Unplug the TCU, shift manually up to 4th gear, and see what the RPMs are at now. If they match, then you are losing TC lockup.....for any number of reasons (mostly electrical)

Back