• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hand throttle [while keeping existing throttle]

rocklandxjer

NAXJA Forum User
hey guys,

ive been contemplating fabbing up a hand throttle while still keeping the foot throttle [or of as a idle-selector, and possible cruise -if i do it right :lecture: ]

this is what i was thinking [rather simplistic, i know but i thought it was the best way.
simply add a line from the lever through the dash and crimp it to the existing line. that way, the hand lever will be able to pull the line back just as the foot pedal would, but i can pull it only slightly [thus increasing the idle] and still use the foot pedal for times when i need better acceleration, or power.

heres a sketch of what i mean [though you all probably understand anyway]

throttle.jpg

Well, what d'ya think?
Travis

My dad did his using a bicycle brake cable, an old motorcycle hand lever(found what he liked in the cycle wrecking yard), and two old cruise control connectors. I am not sure which connectors from the cruises he used, the conversation was a little confusing. I will try to get some pics if you would like. he used several parts from the old/extra cruise control parts which allowed him to hook the cable to the same pin as the existing throttle cable. he then used another part of the cruise system and hooked the cable to the new throttle linkage/bicycle cable. then he simply routed the cable back around and thru the tunnel keeping it safe and solidly connecting it where possible and ran it up thru the boot for the existing shifter. He mounted the motorcycle lever to his stick shift at a height that was comforatable to and him hooked up the cable. Works great!!!
Cleatus92

hmm. that sounds like an interesting idea...

however, i wanted to simply have one that would act in pair with my gas pedal so that i can still use my foot, but raise the idle if i wanted to.

i might actually think about doing that in my other chero though... sounds pretty neat.

I did the BMX break lever on a Honda outboard moter for a throttle and it worked great. Didn't have the cash to fix it right and when I did get the cash I learned to like the break lever so much that I kept it that way. I imajine if you get a nice lever and cable fom a higher end bicycle and mount it to your shifter you will find yourself using it all the time.

what is wrong with the bike shifter and ball chain that the rest of us use?

I have a BMX brake 2 finger lever on mine and it works very good.I simply used a throttle return spring from a wrangler,it is a clip like the kick down cable that the trans uses,but has a spring on it.I just cut the spring off and slipped the brake cable through it and used a crimp on electrical butt connector,I just cut the plastic part off with a razor blade.For the end where the cable comes through at the throttle I just used an end ment for a brake caliper ,with the threads on it,where the square hole is for the cruise cable goes,or the auto trans cable would be(mine is a 5 spd) with washers in between the bracket.it made a no drill installation.I will be right back gonna get some photos for ya.................
DSCF3024.jpg

DSCF3031.jpg

DSCF3034.jpg

Yeah I know the photo quality sux,sorry,not my camera!!!!!!!!:dunce:

Yes I use it all the time too.I think having the throttle and shifting right there is great,throttle-shift- back on the throttle again.Its a funny thing after i drove it like that for a few miles,going back to using my foot it was wierd!!!!!!!!

The problem I have with the BMX lever mounted to the shifter is that it gets banged around all the time while driving and there's always a chance of it hitting something and setting off your RPM's. I have a 98 and I bought a kit with the BMX lever and I never used it because I dont think its what I want.

This is my next idea and it's looking pretty easy. Same thing rocklandxjer said to do (mat the oem throttle cable with a controlled cable) but this time use this:
mrg-2078_w.jpg

It's a universal choke cable and you can get them at you local auto parts stores for $5. I would then mount mine in the dash with support behind it.
I might even do it today!

How do you mean "bounce around and hit stuff?"Mine does not move at all it is very secure on there and there is no interference at all,plenty of room in fact.The universal choke cable you have up there is VERY stiff because it is made from solid metal inner section and not a wound cable with a smooth inner linner like a bike cable.The outter metal part of the choke cable is built just like a spring for comparision.IF you use it for just IDLE that would be fine,but for an actual hand throttle ,it will be difficult to have presice control with it,if any at all besides idle.
All I have to do to raise my idle to stay higher is screw out the barrel on the shifter part.Just my $0.02..........I wanted a smooth throttle to use instead of my foot to control vehicle bounce from the trail and be able to use a third leg-or hand for harder sections ............../^\...........

Last edited:
How about this:
Use a vernier throttle cable from an aircraft. Run the cable up through the dash and hook it to the throttle linkage the same way the cruise control mounts(throught the plastic slip bracket). Then you can use the vernier knob to set idle at whatever you like, it has a push button that unlocks it for use as a push/pull cable, and with the slip joint at the throttle bracket, stepping on the gas would bypass it just like the cruise.

Try looking at
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/ap/throttle.html

A-790 VERNIER CONTROL

if your making your own, wouldnt it be easier to attattch the cable to the pedal assembly. so that it just pulls the pedal to the floor?? just a thought, it may not be practical.

its WAY easier to simply mate two cables [that don't really undergo that much stress, or straining force] than to rig up an assy. to have the pedal depress when toggling the throttle.

i like that choke idea, i just need something that will stay in place when i pull it out...

like i said, this is for idle control, so i need something that will stay put at where-ever i put it. [its also for long distance cruise... now that would be nice!]

rocklandxjer said:
i like that choke idea, i just need something that will stay in place when i pull it out...

dirty. that should be my sig.

Dont the choke throttles stay out when you pull on them and turn the knob?

My throttle body is turned to run in parallel to the engine (01).
I used a system that fits under the throttle plate stop bumper. With a hand choke cable. Pics as soon as my son will take then. I hate diggy cams.
I don't use it much when in gear. Have over rev a few times with it. But love it for charging battery, cooling engine, etc.
Would like to build a magnetic release. So if the clutch is depress it will let the engine drop to normal idle. This would come in real handily when thing get strange all at once and both hands and feet get bizzy!

I've been tossing this one around, too. Has anyone thought of pulling the throttle cables off an old lawn mower?? Looking at it, I would imagine it would work out almost perfectly...........

rocklandxjer said:
however, i wanted to simply have one that would act in pair with my gas pedal so that i can still use my foot, but raise the idle if i wanted to.

The bike shifter / hand lever arrangement does this just fine...

I have to agree, I went to the local bike shop, bought a set of gear changers used one and gave one to a buddy, whole kit cost me 15 dollars or less, I bought about 5 inches of chain, an aluminum cable clamp, a little piece of spare wire, and a nylon tag mount. I ran the cable through the firewall, and mounted the trigger on the gear shift.

I can explain more if you wish, but another nice thing about the unit I used, it has a screw thumb screw in it, so I can lock the unit in place if I want.

Garden Spyder said:
I have to agree, I went to the local bike shop, bought a set of gear changers used one and gave one to a buddy, whole kit cost me 15 dollars or less, I bought about 5 inches of chain, an aluminum cable clamp, a little piece of spare wire, and a nylon tag mount. I ran the cable through the firewall, and mounted the trigger on the gear shift.

I can explain more if you wish, but another nice thing about the unit I used, it has a screw thumb screw in it, so I can lock the unit in place if I want.

take some pictures and post them up.

I want to do the bike shifter but I am to concerned with the location of it being bangs around while I am shifting and over revving my motor.

I think I might just do the choke cable on my dash inbetween the cd player and the gauges.

selarep said:
take some pictures and post them up.

I want to do the bike shifter but I am to concerned with the location of it being bangs around while I am shifting and over revving my motor.

I think I might just do the choke cable on my dash inbetween the cd player and the gauges.

I can email them to ya, and if you want you can post them, I don't have the time to post them... sorry, too many kids running around here... PM me your email addy

Back