• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Radiator/condensor gakset?

Mikey

NAXJA Forum User
Whats up fellas,

I am putting in a new all metal three row radiator in my 97XJ 4.0L. While removing the old radiator, I noticed a rubbery spongey strip that goes along the inside edge of the AC condensor, sealing it to the radiator. Also, there is a flap of some kind on each side of the radiator that goes from the radiator to where the headlights mount. It seems that idea of this is to block airflow so that it only goes through the radiator and condensor. Am I right assuming that?

Also, do I really need that stuff? It kind of crumbled apart when taking the old radiator out.
:farmer:

That's not a gasket - that's just a "vibration strip." You can usually just replace that with strip cut from sheet rubber or neoprene without too much trouble.

Mainly, it's there to keep the radiator and condenser fins from wearing against each other - so guesstimate how this it may have been, go to your local hardware store, and get that size or the next thicker. Cut strips (use a sharp new utility blade or sharp scissors or shears to cut the stuff) and put it between the edges of the radiator and condenser - and at any other "rub points" you notice.

Back