• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3" lift kits

Serveck

NAXJA Forum User
im in the market for about 3" of lift in order to fit these 31" wild country's i got for very cheap. but i was wondering, which is the best lift i should go? i dont want to replace everything, but i do want a good solid lift for under 250$ (need to spend money on repairs first). but i was wondering what you guys would recomend. i found this on JCwhitney: http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/...0612334/Pr-p_CATENTRY_ID:10000032490610612334
and wondering how well the AAL's last and i was also wondering about doing a S10 bastard pack. i have a little mechanical experience, but if you guys can give me as much info as possible about lifting that would be great as this is my first jeep (and first car for that matter).

Save your money til you can at least buy the kit with full packs. If you toss the AAL onto already saggy springs it is just gonna sag more. Remember... you get what you pay for.

what exactly is a s10 bastard pack? is it just replacing the rear leafs with s10 springs? also, if i do replace the rear leaf's, do i still need to replace shocks? i dont really want to spend more than 200$ (poor highschool student)

Do a search on the s-10 leaf pack....
then........ do a search on Thunderbird coil springs....
then with the money you save you should have enough for a track bar (used)...
and spend a little more and get some shocks.
You'll be about 3-4" of lift for about 250.

for the s10 rear leaf pack, do i just replace them with my current rear springs? or is it like an AAL where i use the springs from it and add it? im not that great in mechanics and i would also like to keep this as simple as possible. i have a few freinds that could help though.

Serveck said:
for the s10 rear leaf pack, do i just replace them with my current rear springs? or is it like an AAL where i use the springs from it and add it? im not that great in mechanics and i would also like to keep this as simple as possible. i have a few freinds that could help though.

search the forum. read the write up.
seach for s10 bastard pack

i have been doing some more research.. and i am very short on cash, but i really want to lift it. but what i was thinking was either ZJ coils for the front and a small spacer, or just a 2" spacer for the front. but for the rear i am really unsure. i am going to hit the salvage yard tomarrow to see if i can find some non-sagging leaf springs for the rear and throw on an AAL or shackles for the rear. however, could the rear leafs be replaced with the s10? or will it only work as adding leafs? will somone please help me in finding a way to cheaply lift my cherokee? preferably under 200$ and i will buy shocks later if needed. i just want to be able to clear these 31's thanks.

selarep said:
Do a search on the s-10 leaf pack....
then........ do a search on Thunderbird coil springs....
then with the money you save you should have enough for a track bar (used)...
and spend a little more and get some shocks.
You'll be about 3-4" of lift for about 200.

I'm flipping repeating myself and you need to check out what the search button can teach you.

thanks, its just that im not that mechanically inclined, but im sure i can figure it out, what i really concerened is that i dont think i will be able to do the rear springs. as for the front springs maybe i can leech them off my dad's 97 thunderbird. :shhh: otherwise, how hard would they be to find? edit: i found that theres 2 kind of springs for the thunderbird, the v8 and v6, is there a difference? and which one will give me about 3"? because i really dont want to start replacing breaklines and other things.

Last edited:
ya know, its a good thing you live in maine.
just run a search, you'll find out where to get them, how hard it is to install them, the prices, the whole bits and kaboodles. I cant type all that info that's why i'm telling you to do a damn search, it's really easy.

Serveck said:
thanks, its just that im not that mechanically inclined,

I was the same way(kinda) until I bought my Jeep and Joined NAXJA. Trust me the search function is your friend, my XJ has ever seen a shop(since ive owned it) and I had never worked on a vehicle until I bought my XJ. Once you dive in it's not that hard and there are plenty of resources here to help. Any time I have gotten stuck after making a legit attempt I have never been turned down asking for help.

EvanH said:
Save your money til you can at least buy the kit with full packs. If you toss the AAL onto already saggy springs it is just gonna sag more. Remember... you get what you pay for.

Not necessarily.

My springs were sagging about 1 3/4".

I ordered some Rusty's 2" AAL's to comensate.

When I started doing the work I noticed that both small leafs on both sides (the bottom most ones) were cracked. I removed them, and installed the Rusty's AAL just below the main leaf......so they were in coronological order, with largest leafs on the top to smallest on the bottom.

More than a year later, my rear end was lifted more than 2". Evened it out to stock with perhaps being a bit taller in the rear end! I was really happy. Although I'll be putting on a 3" soon!

I am getting 3" front lift coils, but plan to use my rear leaf packs......adding two or so leafs from another Cherokee or S10 to make the 3" rear lift so it'll match the front! That's why I'm doing the front first before I tackle the rear. Sure it'll sag backwards for awhile, but, I'll get a good eye on how much lift the rear needs to match the front!

WaXJ_Skier said:
I was the same way(kinda) until I bought my Jeep and Joined NAXJA. Trust me the search function is your friend, my XJ has ever seen a shop(since ive owned it) and I had never worked on a vehicle until I bought my XJ. Once you dive in it's not that hard and there are plenty of resources here to help. Any time I have gotten stuck after making a legit attempt I have never been turned down asking for help.

I am goning for this http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_xj_suspension_lift_kits.html
May not be the best but is in my budget.

Buy a Rusty's Offroad 3" AAL kit for $245 plus shipping. I have put a couple on different Jeeps and have been very impressed. I am currently running their 4.5" kit on my Jeep and really like it.

stay away from Rusty's save your money. Trust everyone who says rusty's is a low end choice.
Rough Country is your best bet if you're trying to save $$$

Back