• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Currie 9 inch axle pinion angle problem

FordGuy

NAXJA Forum User
I decided to go with Currie 9" front and rear axles with ARBs. I have been working on my XJ non-stop for two months, full framed air bumps, you name it I did it. Get to the end of my project, align the front end with 5.5 deg caster and now I have way to much pinion angle. When I called Currie about the issue, obviously they jigged the axle wrong because they knew exactly what lift i was going to use. There answer, you need to tell us???? Are they not the experts???

Did you also tell them your driveline height and length? Is the crossmember dropped or raised? How is the t-case clocked? What style joints are you using?

Nothing is obvious here.

That makes sense, because from what you're describing, it's not a stock XJ anyway?

I'm trying to figure out why you thought they'd know the pinion angle just from saying what lift you were using. Lifts give differing amounts of height on nearly any jeep...every axle I've set up the pinion angle was the last thing I did before welding the C's in place. It's nearly impossible to know that beforehand.

And you're sure you have the caster set 5.5 degrees in the proper direction, right?

Yes I aligned it on a $70,000 hunter alignment rack. But if you know approx the set up of a stock axle, then its simple to know that if you are going to increase the height by 5 inch that the drive line angle is not going to be close. Its simple mathematics, Not that complicated.

When I started this project I called Currie to get there advise on building an XJ. We discussed in detail what needed to be done. I wanted to build a combo Jeep speed Trail XJ. Being that my experience was in Offroad Racing, With Buggy's. I asked for there advise, They Race Jeep Speed. They knew exactly what The Plan was, and price was no issue. Knowing all the details I would expect that the housing would be somewhat close. If they needed me to tell them, they should know to ask. Maybe I am wrong, I think this was just someone not paying attention to someone spending 15,000. By the way, my friend in doing the same thing, we ordered 4 axles at the same time.

Back