• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ DECIDED TO TAKE A DUMP ON ME!!!!!

jeepfreak84

NAXJA Forum User
Well I was comming home from seeing my stepdad when my jeep decided to take a dump on me. Basicly it started blowing black smoke out the back profusely started losing power started bucking and died out on me in the middle of the interstate going 70mph. I am completely stumped outa my mind, I finaly pushed it off of the interstate got it to a gas station tried to start it and it did but stumbled realy nasty and it shut right off again:soapbox: and it was just pouring smoke everywhere!!!!! Guys I realy need some help on this one please any and all. if it helps any its a 96 xj 4.0 with a 4 speed auto. neither me or my wife ( both mechanics) can figure this one out.
thanks guys!!!!

Alex

Hey thanks for the reply man :) just got done poking around under the hood again, shes got pretty good fuel pressure, I think I got me a bad head gasket, ill hit her with a hammer a few times and let ya know:firedevil

Disconnect one injector at a time, when it drops to a single miss you may have found your bad stuck open injector, *maybe* if it is physically stuck open unplugging it might not help.

whompinxj said:
Sounds like a head gasket problem to me.

Black smoke is gas, blue is oil, gray or white is usually coolant

When this same thing happened to my Aerostar, it turned out to be the coolant temp sensor. It was shot, giving a constant cold signal to the computer, causing extremely rich running condition. I was getting black smoke, stalling and about 7mpg....
I don't remember if the bad one was opened or shorted, but the new one had a readable resistance value. Maybe you can check yours, then see if your parts guy will let you measure one at the store.

Ya know I hadnt thought about the coolant sensor, makes sense though, although she's still giving me a temp reading. Ill pull it out and grab a new one and see what happens. I ran a compression check last night to see if anything was extremely off everything was within 20 psi accross the board, which isnt too bad for a engine that old. well I am headed down to the to the junkyard today anyway I think ill grab every sensor I can find for the fuel control system and replace it, im also thinking it may be a sticking injector per a previous suggestion. well im gonna go bang my head on the wall repeditivly, and let yall know what turns out. thanks guys.

Well here's an update, this screwy truck is driving me nuts, just got back from taking her for a spin and now she acts like she's fine, go figure. Im thinkin it has to be a sensor. Im realy leaning towards the CTS that SCCA28 suggested as well as nevada city sparks. im gonna go shoot the jeep a few times I figure if its not better in a week ill shoot it again, dont get how shootin it fixes it, now shes broken and got a gun shot wound :)

Well guys I finaly tracked down the problem, the whole darn thing was caused by a faulty upstream 02 sensor, It realy had me scratching my head cause it only happened when it got into closed loop ( 195* and up ) well now she's running like a dream, like a frickin top. Well it was a realy bad experience. Maybe someone here in the future can use my misfortune for theyre advantage in trying to help them figure out a similar problem. Guy's thanks so much for all the help if there's anything I can ever do to repay any of you, just ask!!!!!! God bless yall.

Alex in henderson nevada, soon to be back in delaware.

Back