• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

anyone use different(smaller) than stock size tire on Rubicon Moabs ??

JrTxJ

NAXJA Forum User
i'm getting a set of rubicon moabs but don't really think i want to use the size it comes with because i had 31s before and now that i'm back to stock, my mileage is better and i honestly just don't plan on lifting that high anytime soon. with that being said, does anyone else run smaller than the stock tires that come with moabs? i don't want to run exactly the same size tire that stock xj's come with because those look puny, so i'd like somewhere in between.

any help on size ideas would be great. i'll probably go to town fair tire as they pricematch even tirerack.com. thanks for any suggestions

I'd think that 30x9.5s would work just fine. People run those all the time on stock-height XJs, they're an inch-and-a-half or so taller than the stock 225s, and they'd be wide enough to fit well on the 8" wide Rubicon wheels. The only problem is that the Rubicon wheels are 16" diameter, and I don't know if you can get a 30x9.5 in that size. 235/75R16 works out to 29.9x9.3; maybe that size would be better.

thanks for the response...i don't know too much about tires so maybe i'll stop by town fair tire and see what they think, then post it on here to make sure they know what they're talking about. any more opinions are welcomed. :)thanks

Did you adjust your mileage figures for the larger tires, or change your speedo gear? You may not have suffered the loss of mileage that you think you did, though you probably did lose some.

JrTxJ said:
no i didn't...but right now i know i'm getting 20 mpg and don't want that to change!

Well as stated above, when you have larger tires without changing the speedo gear, you will go farther than the odometer says you go.

You'd be fine with a 245/70R16. It's 29.5" tall, equivalent to a 30" tire. A 245/75R16 is 30.5" tall, basically a 31" equivalent. They are both 9.6" wide.

I've got a 2" lift kit - coils and AALs [still in the box] and a set of Moabs [in my garage]. It's a planned Springtime buildup for my 97 XJ.

Two questions:

Will the existing 245/75R16's rub the fenders?

Will shorter, wider 255/70R16's rub the LCA's?

Back