• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rusty brake lines

kennzz05

basic dumbass
recently noticed the rear lines on my 98 look pretty bad rust wise wondering where to look for a resonably priced replacement also what problems am i likely to encounter when changeing them thanks... ken

this is my next project as well. i don't think there are full replacements available - i think you buy the correct size line, the fittings, and then bend and flare the lines to match the old ones.

keep me posted on how the job goes!

If you live in a heavy rust zone, it's probably better to cut out the rusty sections, get stock lengths and connectors, flare the original lines, and replace them in sections. When sections rust out later, you can replace them individually. The double-female junctions are usually brass, and this makes it possible to replace sections even when the steel lines are a total loss.

This is a fairly easy job. Buy or rent a small handheld tubing bender and a GOOD QUALITY double flare tool. Remove the old line to use as a template. You can even cut the lines at the fittings and use a socket to remove them if real rusty. Tape one end of the old line to the new and follow along the length duplicating all the factory bends. With a little practice you'll swear it looks like a factory replacement. Flare the other end at the proper length and your ready to reinstall. Practice flaring on some scrap tubing if it makes you feel more comfortable first. You can even buy tubing in stainless steel so they won't rust again (most a/p stores). Try to keep splices to a minimum though (less places to leak later)...good luck!!!

great simplified information...i have a couple quick ones:

1. how much brake fluid are you going to lose when you disconnect the old lines?
  2. how many lines are there exactly? i know there are probably two that run from the booster to the rear brakes.

bacelaw said:
great simplified information...i have a couple quick ones:
  1. how much brake fluid are you going to lose when you disconnect the old lines?
  2. how many lines are there exactly? i know there are probably two that run from the booster to the rear brakes.
1.Most likely all of it...2. Only one line to back, to the rubber line/t-block on axle, one on each side of axle...

update well they finally leaked 38 bucks at the dealer a/z just had 4 ft sections dealer part was the full 8 ft piece w/ all the bends

Back