• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

88 cherokee timing

BUTCH209

NAXJA Forum User
i have an 88 cherokee renix an i was wondering what the timing should fire at at idle mine is firing at about 20 degrees btdc and if i give it a little gas it goes to about 60 deg. btdc and starts missing real bad. i changed plugs cap rotor map sensor knock sensor 02 sensor intake gasket and the crank pos. sensor. i cleaned the throttle body checked the egr valve. i have another ecm i am going to try next and another ign. switch and i need a tps i cant find one at pick n pull.it used to run realy good and one day it quit firing so i changed the cps and now i run like crap. i have noticed that there are alot of posts on here with the same problem im having but nobody ever said what the problem is. can any body help???

BUTCH

that is very good info but i have a different dist.my rubber plug comes out at 6 o`clock through the bottom of dist. my rotor is in line with my no. 1 terminal. should it be offset.

HELP!!! BUTCH

witch engine do you have? is it the V6?
anyway timing should be 12 Deg before at idle.
and does it have the distributor that is not adjustable?

it is a 4.0 non adjustable right now the rotor is at about 5 o`clock. it is in an 88 cherokee with auto. tran. i have changed every sensor except coolant and TPS i just put in another ECU and no change. i did a wiggle test and found nothing loose. i wish there was some way to read codes on this besides the dealer. when you give it gas fast it back fires out the exhaust when you hold it from about 1500 to 2500 it misses and sputters bad above that it runs strong and idles good i have tried almost everything i could think of.
BUTCH

BUTCH209 said:
it is a 4.0 non adjustable right now the rotor is at about 5 o`clock. it is in an 88 cherokee with auto. tran. i have changed every sensor except coolant and TPS i just put in another ECU and no change. i did a wiggle test and found nothing loose. i wish there was some way to read codes on this besides the dealer. when you give it gas fast it back fires out the exhaust when you hold it from about 1500 to 2500 it misses and sputters bad above that it runs strong and idles good i have tried almost everything i could think of.
BUTCH

Bring cylinder #1 to TDC (line up the mark on the pulley with 0 on the timing cover) and pull the distributor cap. The rotor should line up with the #1 pin, or be exactly 180* off. If it doesn't line up, turn the crank one full rotation and it should line up. If it still doesn't line up, the timing chain has jumped.

The symptoms you described are almost exactly what my '91 did when the timing chain jumped.

Just FYI, there are no stored codes on a Renix. You can only access a datastream through the computer. Some shops may have an older Snap-On scanner with the adapter, you don't necessarily need to go to the dealer. The shop where I work has a Snap-On scanner with the adapter and software for Renix Jeeps, although it's rarely, if ever, needed with the way the Renix system works.

Back