• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

any reason NOT to drive without front driveline?

2001XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Guys,

I have 6" of lift with a LP D30 in the front. After fine tuning I got the fine balance of 6* of caster so I would not wander all over the place/have bumpsteer and minimize driveline vibrations. However, even though the vibes are not horrible they are pretty noticeable. I have taken out the front driveline and the rig rides like glass. Is there any reason I should get the driveline issue resolved asap and not keep driving with it out? Honestly, I have yet to research my options but I am assuming I either get a HP D30, re-balance/tube the front driveline or get a custom driveline built. Until I have the money, I figured I could just keep driving it without the driveline in and when I go wheeling hook it back up. Pain in the ass, but the vibes on the road are not there.

thanks 4 your help

If you have an NP249, or any Tcase with a viscous coupling in it, it would be an issue.

If you have an NP 231/242, then you're fine.

I've been driving my 99 around for about a month with the front driveshaft duct-taped to the longarm (busted yoke). Theoretically, it should improve gas mileage a bit.

I had the same issue, drove with out the front shaft all the time, it gets to be a pain in the butt taking it in and out to go off roading though.

You could leave the transfer case end attached and just make extra sure the DS is tucked up and secure. And make sure you don't shift into 4wd until after you re-attach it... But this way you only have to attach the axle end when you want to wheel, which wouldn't be too bad.

As for permanent solutions, you got it right - a HP30 will help tremendously which is what I did. Or another option is a hub conversion. It is a little spendy but sometimes it is worth it. A friend of mine was in the same situation and suffering from front driveline vibes for over a year. He has an '01 and his LP30 has 4.56 and an ARB. So he didn't want to switch to a HP because he'd need to regear and install the ARB all over again. So he went with a hub kit and was so glad he did it. He said it was one of the best mods he's gotten so far. Its also one of my favorites as well.

mjma said:
If you have an NP249, or any Tcase with a viscous coupling in it, it would be an issue.

If you have an NP 231/242, then you're fine.

I've been driving my 99 around for about a month with the front driveshaft duct-taped to the longarm (busted yoke). Theoretically, it should improve gas mileage a bit.

Take some electrical tape, unhooke the front yoke, tape the joint caps in place and zip tie shaft to chassis....just don't screw up and try 4 wheel drive...I have done this many times if I can't access a trailer and tow truck..

EricsXJ said:
So he went with a hub kit and was so glad he did it. He said it was one of the best mods he's gotten so far. Its also one of my favorites as well.

x2, I picked up the hub conversion kit for a great price and couldn't be happier, the Jeep never rode so smooth before.

EricsXJ said:
You could leave the transfer case end attached and just make extra sure the DS is tucked up and secure. And make sure you don't shift into 4wd until after you re-attach it... But this way you only have to attach the axle end when you want to wheel, which wouldn't be too bad.

As for permanent solutions, you got it right - a HP30 will help tremendously which is what I did. Or another option is a hub conversion. It is a little spendy but sometimes it is worth it. A friend of mine was in the same situation and suffering from front driveline vibes for over a year. He has an '01 and his LP30 has 4.56 and an ARB. So he didn't want to switch to a HP because he'd need to regear and install the ARB all over again. So he went with a hub kit and was so glad he did it. He said it was one of the best mods he's gotten so far. Its also one of my favorites as well.

I like that idea, haven't had to do it, but now I know. I would guess re-attaching at the transfer case would get old real quick. I've been lucky enough to not have to mess with my front driveshaft at all yet, knock on wood. 2 1/2 years and counting...

i have a NP231, and drove for a while without a front driveshaft after i did my SYE. after doing the sye i was sick of being under the jeep so i just left the front DS out. i also used 4WD (4low) quite a bit to do some trails, and theres no reason it would hurt anything...dont know about the 242 though

I wouldn't use zip ties...use a ratchet strap or something. I was towing my TJ, had the driveshaft zip tied up and held in place with a nylon strap. All of the above cut, and the driveshaft dropped down, letting the u-joint hit my spinning front yoke and everything went BOOM. so just be careful.

EricsXJ said:
Yep - and you and I don't even have the LP30. :wave:

I think the best part of the kit is the hub becomes the week link, so instead of breaking a shaft or ujoint, you'll break the hub. Which is about a 10 minute fix to replace on the trail.

Back