• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ to WJ Steering Wheel & Tire Option

95Z28A4

NAXJA Forum User
I posted this on jeepsunlimited, also.

I'm installing the WJ steering & brakes with flipped TRE's on my 1998 XJ. After much research I have found a reasonably priced 17" wheel & tire option that is suited for this conversion. I've also learned that 16" Jeep Liberty steel wheels will work for the conversion if the TRE's are NOT flipped. They will NOT clear the draglink TRE when flipped.

The wheels I'm using are 17" x 7" steel wheels from a 2005-2007 Chrysler 300, Dodge Magnum & Dodge Charger. The wheels have 4.5" backspacing. The center hole requires mild sanding with a flapper wheel to slip completely onto the XJ/TJ hub. The later model XJ/TJ wheel center caps (flat style) will fit the wheel if you drill 4 small holes for the sheetmetal attachment screws. I purchased a set of new take-off wheels from Wheels Source in Houston, TX for $150 shipped. Here's a link to an ebay auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4-CH...ryZ43957QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The tire I'm using is the BFG T/A KM sized 255/75/17. This is a 32" x 10" mud terrain that is OEM for the 2007 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. As of this writing, it is available for $109 each at www.tirerack.com.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...e&partnum=575R7MTAKM&fromCompare1=yes&place=0

Mike

I don't get the point of this post. I'm running my steering OTK with my WJ setup with 15" rims. Are you using the larger caliper or something

RyanM said:
I don't get the point of this post. I'm running my steering OTK with my WJ setup with 15" rims. Are you using the larger caliper or something

The purpose of this post is to share information. Factory 15" wheels will NOT fit my XJ with WJ brakes/steering due to the OEM backspacing. To my knowledge, they won't fit with Akebono calipers without grinding the calipers. I don't think you can purchase a set of 4 aftermarket wheels for $150 shipped. Also, the Chrylser / Dodge OEM wheels are available at dealerships and salvage yards all over the country if you need a replacement. The BFG's are 32" and are only $109 each. BFG KM 31x10.5x15 tires are more than $109.

It is your decision to use or not use this information.

Mike

Back