• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Horns?

Blaine B.

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, question here about the horns.

Is there any actual difference between the metal sound-producing part? I know the "cones" have a different and longer/shorter path for the hi/lo notes......but is there any actual difference in the metal sound producing device part of the horns as well?

I'd word this question better if I knew how to, lol.

S'okay...I think you'd get better answers if we knew how to word it, too.
happyfinger.gif

Seriously though - I really don't know what you're asking. It IS a question, right? ;)

Hah, yep, it's an early early morning question.

You know, the horns....there's the plastic "bell" and then the metal part.

On each XJ there's 2 different horns. One is stamped "H" for High and "L" for Low. The difference in "bells" for each horn is that the path the sound has to take inside is different and shorter or longer.

Apparently that's what makes the difference in the horns for the low and high tones/notes.

But is there a difference in the sound the metal part produces to begin with?

I hope this time, the question is worded/asked better :)

Hmm. Much better this time. ;)

Didja break one or something? I bet the basic horn is the same, but I wonder how interchangeable it really is...if you need another one, I'm sure it would be easier to snag one from a parts Jeep than it would be to rebuild/swap parts from one.

Well one didn't sound right. Turned out the "gasket" or whatever wore out. Used some black RTV. Sounds like it should now.

I just noticed a difference in the two plastic cones and that's why I asked the question.

The horn is nothing more than a modified buzzer. Several things go into setting the tone/frequency. The stiffness of the diaphram and the size of the diaphram will yield a specific resonant frequency. The shape of the megaphone portion will accentuate a particular frequency, but is not a major determining factor.

The plastic part is the megaphone - correct?

Would it be correct to say that the metal "sount emitting" portion of the horn remains the same - while the plastic "megaphone" portion is the only difference between the high and low tones?

Blaine B. said:
The plastic part is the megaphone - correct?

Would it be correct to say that the metal "sount emitting" portion of the horn remains the same - while the plastic "megaphone" portion is the only difference between the high and low tones?
Not necessarily. The diaphragm is probably what makes the difference, but then the megaphone portion that's actually properly a "horn" is tuned to that frequency. Many horns (e.g. Bosch and Hella horns on European cars) lack the "horn" portion, and you can't tell the difference between high and low by the appearance.

I've got a police siren + 100 watt speaker (has air horn). I was looking around yesterday for places to mount the speaker and I couldn't find a good spot. It is a "compact" speaker too. Ugh!

I took the dual horns off of my 96 and put on the "beep-beep" style horn like what was on the old Willys.

Sounds much better I think and one will be plenty loud.

Back