• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.0 to 258 motor swap

eagle_eye

NAXJA Forum User
hi guys i got a 94 cherrokee auto 4.0 litre and wana swap it with a older 258 carby motor from a j20. does anyone no if it fits?. and if so will my 4.0 litre head bolt to it for the fuel injection?.and will i bolt up to my 4 speed auto gearbox?.is there any other mods i need to do?
cheers .

Last edited:
why?

your 4.0 is a much better motor than that 258. Yes, it will fit, the block is the same, different bore/stroke and head. I see you're planning on keeping the 4.0 head and efi which would be a good choice, but I don't think you would be seeing any gain doing this.

Instead, take the crank out of that 258, and put it in your 4.0, thus making a stroker motor (approx 4.5L). That will give you the most bang for your buck. Do a search here for how to build the stroker.

thanks john
do i need a rebore to do that and do i need new pistons? also do u have any info on the 245 and 265 australian hemi motors are thay the same block as the amc ?

eagle_eye said:
thanks john
do i need a rebore to do that and do i need new pistons? also do u have any info on the 245 and 265 australian hemi motors are thay the same block as the amc ?

I've never heard of Aussie AMC Hemi's, I'm intrigued now

this website is your friend on a stroker setup http://www.jeep4.0performance.4mg.com/

"Chrysler Australia used a straight-6 version of the Hemi (this particular version of the Hemi was designed in America in the 1950s for use as a truck engine, but was scrapped and later recovered by Chrysler Australia) across most of their model line from the late 60's through to the early 80's. The Australian Hemi 6 came in 3 different sizes, the 215 hemi (3.52L), the 245 Hemi (4.01L) and the 265 Hemi (4.34L). The 265 hemi was most notable for its use in the E49 racing engine, with 3 webber 2-bbl carburetors it was capable of 302bhp, making it the most powerful production 6 in a passenger car for its time."

Taken from Wikipedia

Also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_Australian_engine

http://www.valiant.org/charger.html

prerunner1982 said:
"The 265 hemi was most notable for its use in the E49 racing engine, with 3 webber 2-bbl carburetors it was capable of 302bhp, making it the most powerful production 6 in a passenger car for its time."

I want That one. That thing got a hemi?

over here in oz the 245 and 265 were a standard motor in valiant chargers and are renowned for being a very strong motor.my mates got a 265 sitting in the shed and it looks the same as my 4.0L so i was wondering if anyone can tell me if the block is the same? if so i can put the 265 in the jeep and only change the head.

One is made by AMC, the other by Chrysler. They're likely not related.

the big question there is,
What's the bellhousing bolt pattern?
I wonder if it's the same as the chryco 4 banger they used in the dakotas.
If so, then you can use a dakota bellhousing and the Jeep AX-15 to mate that up to the drivetrain.

voila, hemi 6 powered XJ.

The Aussie Hemi 6 is a descendant of the Dodge "slant six" and in no way compatible with AMC I6's... That said I bet you could swap one easy enough and probably get a NV series tranny to fit up to it with a Dodge bellhousing... Now if I could just find an Aussie Hemi here in the US...

< I know it's an old thread so what! :twak: >

Yep, no relation at all to the AMC 6 in the Jeep. Bore spacing is different and all. Did some research into it a few years ago but all fell flat due to no similarities other than it is a straight 6. :(

Americanpower said:
A 4.0 head on 4.2 block, with the 4,2 intake,carb, ect...could give 40hp
But a 4.2 block with a 4.0 head, intake,injection, ect... would give what ???

A good increase over the 4.2. Its been done many times by the CJ and YJ crowd.

Back