• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

air cond. pump rebuildable?

Jump This

Just another minion!
My AC is squeeling like a pig most of the time.
So I don't run it...but its 110* out here and need the damn thing.
Before I go and buy a new pump, what sort of maintenance/rebuild is
possible?
BTW the belt is tight.
Rick R

"Rebuilding" the idler pully is simple - and I think the bearing is P/N 203FF, through Timken.

If you've got a shop vise, it just got easier by several orders of magnitude - you lay the new bearing over the old on the backside of the pully, put the whole thing in the vise, and gradually tighten. The recess on the front side of the pully will allow the old one to pop out as the new bearing displaces it. You might need a couple of thing (~1/4" or so) spacers to finish pressing the old bearing out - stop when the new bearing is flush with the back of the bore.

Take ya 10 minutes, once you get the thing out.

5-90

Or you could just buy a new idler pulley fairly cheap and not hassle a rebuild...

SERPENTINE idler pulley, Jeep, 4.0L, All 97-02 -- $18.25 at,

http://www.chryslerpartsdirect.com/

You might also want to check the condition of your AC clutch. The late model year XJ have quite a problem with them going out. That is also a source of the dreaded "screech"...

Ivan

Ivan said:
Or you could just buy a new idler pulley fairly cheap and not hassle a rebuild...

SERPENTINE idler pulley, Jeep, 4.0L, All 97-02 -- $18.25 at,

http://www.chryslerpartsdirect.com/

You might also want to check the condition of your AC clutch. The late model year XJ have quite a problem with them going out. That is also a source of the dreaded "screech"...

Ivan

True - I think I spent about $10 for a spare pully with a new bearing. Replaced it, then spent $5 on a new bearing and had a spare pully again (so I don't have to wait for mail-order...)

5-90

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....AIR CONDITIONING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Picked up a new pulley at the local NAPA. I was suprised they had it in stock.
(Our local NAPA would fit into most anyones living room)
Installed it...and VIOLA! Air again!!
I LOVE air conditioning!
Hey, I live in the desert!
Rick R :sunshine:
Thanks for the help!

Back