• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tow Hook Flip Good Idea Or Bad

ROBZ95Xj

NAXJA Forum User
Flipped My Tow hooks yesterday for better aproach angle, besides having to cut holes in my bumper i was wondering if this was a bad idea, im runnin the C4x4 Brackets

ive done it and got yanked from it a couple times with no ill results.

I think as long as it stays pretty much inline with the mount points it should be fine, see no reason why not.

I wouldn't do anything but a straight on pull with the bumper like that though. The strap will be rubbing on the bumper edges for anything but a straight pull and will damage the strap. Even if you were to dull the edges it would still be putting stress on the bumper in a way it will probably not be able to take without bending and deforming.

kunaji said:
I wouldn't do anything but a straight on pull with the bumper like that though. The strap will be rubbing on the bumper edges for anything but a straight pull and will damage the strap. Even if you were to dull the edges it would still be putting stress on the bumper in a way it will probably not be able to take without bending and deforming.

You could always do what I did... take the bumper off! I think it looks badass =P

The military fliped them I can't rememer what way. Because that if they broke they tended to fly up but flip over they flew down. Yours would be captured befor flying either way. Anybody remember how the military does it?

Stumpalump said:
The military fliped them I can't rememer what way. Because that if they broke they tended to fly up but flip over they flew down. Yours would be captured befor flying either way. Anybody remember how the military does it?

Everything I ever used military was D rings or those T things that the steel cables turned on to, big mother honkin T things on the 113's, 577, M2's tracks and smaller D rings on the wheeled stuff till you hit 2 1/2 tons on up, the it was back to the big T things.

RichP said:
Everything I ever used military was D rings or those T things that the steel cables turned on to, big mother honkin T things on the 113's, 577, M2's tracks and smaller D rings on the wheeled stuff till you hit 2 1/2 tons on up, the it was back to the big T things.

any pics of the T things? I am just a bit curious...

the military ALWAYS runs hooks tip side up. However this is on cables/ropes NOT mounts. The reason you go hook side up on a cable is b/c if it snaps momentum/weight carries the cable down. The military only uses d-rings on body connections... That being said remember that all TJ/YJ/CJs come with the hooks flipped up, so I'd say either way is fine.

kunaji said:
Even if you were to dull the edges it would still be putting stress on the bumper in a way it will probably not be able to take without bending and deforming.

Did you see the bumper in the pics?

Pretty sure he's not worried about that.

Tampa_XJ said:
the military ALWAYS runs hooks tip side up. However this is on cables/ropes NOT mounts. The reason you go hook side up on a cable is b/c if it snaps momentum/weight carries the cable down. The military only uses d-rings on body connections... That being said remember that all TJ/YJ/CJs come with the hooks flipped up, so I'd say either way is fine.
Thats good to know. Allways hook your winch cable with the tip up. Thanks.

vetteboy said:
Did you see the bumper in the pics?

Pretty sure he's not worried about that.
im starting with a fresh bumper makin the holes slightly larger, BTW Skill Saws are Fun :D

ROBZ95Xj said:
im starting with a fresh bumper makin the holes slightly larger, BTW Skill Saws are Fun :D

Use a 4 1/2" angle grinder and DEWALT Inox cut off wheels, much faster. That is how I cut my bumper for the Detours recovery system.

latest96av2.jpg

Back