• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

JKS adj. Trac Bar Question

UNCC_99XJ

Twisted Up
NAXJA Member
Did a search and didn't really come up with the answer I was lookin for, so here's my situation. Specs are a 99 4.0/AW4, 242, 3" RRO kit, and a JKS adj. trac bar. Stock LCA's, UCA's...etc etc. Everything front end is stock, except for the stabilizer and the trac bar.

About two days ago I was on my way home from work (40 minute highway commute) and started hearing a popping sound, at low speeds, as I was turning only LEFT. Didn't matter if I went from driving straight to turning left, or from turning right to turning left...but as soon as I started going left I would get this loud POP......not continuous, just a one time pop, everytime I turned left.

Got it home and had my step dad turn the wheel while I looked, listened, and felt around on the front end for what it was, and could pretty quickly tell it was coming from the johnny joint on the JKS. I checked the bolt's tightness, and while it was pretty dern tight, it did tighten up just a hair more. I also shot some grease in there, as it had appeared to be bone dry.

Took it around the neighborhood and down the street, and no more noise. Problem solved....or so I thought.

Today I met up with a couple of people who do some wheelin. While mine was extremely light, I did have a few good sized (for a 3" set up) rocks to go over....but nothing really all that bad. Didn't hear any noises, checked everything for tightness when I got to where I was going to park, and checked it once I got out of the woods before I got back on the highway...everything was good. However, as i'm driving down the road, I now hear an occasional pop....sounds just like the trac bar, once again. It sounds the same, and I can feel it in my foot, just as before.

I havent had a chance to see if I can get any more grease in it (got just a hair too much in last time)...but once it quits raining i'll go out and have a look.

I know the johnny joints are rebuildable, but I dont really want to have to do that just yet...as i've only got about 1000 highway miles on since it was installed about a month ago (brand new trac bar).

I've always heard and read that JKS has a pretty good rep on their trac bars, which is why I spent the money and went ahead and got a good one. My question is, has anybody else had this problem?

Back