• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Will this ring and pinion fit a cherokee?

coastie124

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking at buying a ring and pinion set for my 99's dana 30 and the part # in the picture he sent is 706503-6X. When I look up the # it shows that it fits a 72-86 CJ Dana 30. Will this be compatible?

Quite possibly. I believe your '99 is standard rotation, as is the CJ D30. But, why not order a ring & pinion specifically for a '99 D30? Takes the guess work out of it.

Because this one is really cheep, brand new, and in the gear size I want. I didn't see the part # at first, he just said it was for an XJ. I didn't know CJ's were standard cut axles. I believe the XJ's have reverse cut :( . I'm not too axle savy, so if the CJ is standard cut passenger drop and the XJ is reverse cut driver drop will that work?

Last edited:
IIRC,CJ's are LP D30's(not to be confused w/ the TJ short pinion)!

KarlVP said:
I sold a guy with a CJ 30 my used gears from a TJ. He never complained so i assumed they worked.
They wont work!!

KarlVP said:
I sold a guy with a CJ 30 my used gears from a TJ. He never complained so i assumed they worked.

they best person to ask would be someone at Randy's Ring and Pinion.

1-800-347-1188

Best advise: Call Randy's Ring & Pinion.

Early XJ's are reverse cut (high pinion) gears and won't work in a CJ; but, late model Xj's have standard cut (low pinion) gears and MAY work in a CJ. Randy's should actually know.

coastie124 said:
Thanks for the help guys. I'll have to give them a call tomorrow, and check this part # out.

Go ahead and give him a call. What hes going to tell you is that CJs used long pinions and TJs and later XJs used short pinion gears. They wont interchange.

00-01 had LP the 84-99 had HP with reverse cut gear.

balloo93 said:
00-01 had LP the 84-99 had HP with reverse cut gear.
Tue, but as Ray H pointed out, the CJ low-pinion D30 used a long pinion and will not interchange with the XJ and hte short pinion we use.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Back