• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

thornbirds

dont think you will find many people running them. i have heard of many bad reviews about them.

97XJ Jeeper said:
dont think you will find many people running them. i have heard of many bad reviews about them.

X2, these tires kinda look aggressive, but they are not.

jeepjay90 said:
they always worked good for me in the mud

I hope your joking...or haven't had anything else to compare them to.

The tread pattern is worse than many other AT tires, the large side lugs are about the only thing that will grab in mud. I say AT tires because that's what thornbirds are, don't even try to compare them to any MT.

The tread compound is also VERY hard. This can be great for treadwear (on road only, the lugs will crack and break off if used in the rocks), but not traction.

Everyone I know that has actually ran these for a while have had the tires dry rot before they wore out!

The tires are also VERY heavy, and more weight increases the chance of breaking stuff.

IMHO, a BFG AT (for example) has more traction, even though they may not look as "cool"

I ran them, for 3 months and sold them.....this was not a proud moment in my life, kind of hard to talk about now.

I had a set of slickbirds, 4 of them used for 100 bucks, worst hundred bucks ever spent. They were VERY good at getting the heep dirty, after a romp in a mud hole in my CJ I had 4 inches of mud on my lap, and ruined anything that was still in the jeep.

I got stuck often if the holes werent deep enough to get the side lugs into the goo

I had them for a bit,I needed to run them at 20 psi on the street just to get the center portion to wear with the rest of the tire.I put 10,000 mile son them and they were practically bald by then-THEY SUCK period........

They look good (from the side) cruising the mall....crawling those 6" curbs...otherwise....theysuck...

Interco makes some great tires, some of the best for wheeling, however, the thornturd is not one of them. Neither is the Truxus STS.

Anything else from interco will be an excellent choice for an off-road tire.

Actually the STS is great in the sand.....but sux anywhere else.

yea thornbirds are good for mud, but GARBAGE for anything else

thornys need to be grooved to work good offroad
i know guys who get them for near free then groove them,
they work just like tsl's after grooving
if they are free and you want to groove go for it,

mattyg said:
thornys need to be grooved to work good offroad
i know guys who get them for near free then groove them,
they work just like tsl's after grooving
if they are free and you want to groove go for it,
Thats a good idea! I groved my first mud tires with an angle grinder. Man that crap got everwhere but it really helped the buckshot mudders.

Back