• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gang - need help getting to MOAB - TOW POINTS

Markm80521

NAXJA Forum User
Realized that the one must have that I am missing to participate with everyone is tow points. I have been saving up for a bumper but time wise something like that won't be ready in time. I know that there are kits out there like rusty's but I don't want to spend HALF of what it would cost for a bumper just to get a temporary fix.

Anyone got some ideas on what I can rig up for the trip? I did run a couple of searches and was coming up with nothing.

THanks.

See the gold bracket? That is what you need to put your tow hooks on. Rusty sells them for 70 bucks or so.
standard.jpg

Wait....I submitted a reply and hadto edit it. I realized you were looking for tow points and not a tow bar........I suffer from sever brain fade from time to time. I am using tow bar brackets until I build my own bumper. Reese has some for cheep. Use large doubler plates on the front bumper and you could do the same on the back (I guess) Although I use my reciever hitch as my rear tow point for now...

I like the Rustys set up but the low hook looks scary to me. If you have some 1/4" plate you could duplicate the basic mount and just cut it thru the front of the bumper and use some D-rings... what do you think?

I really think that Rustys tow hook mounts are your cheapest solution to getting tow points on the front of you rig. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Just be sure to Rusty doesn't live up to his name, give the brackets and hooks an extra shot of Rustoleum prior to install to prevent the inevitable. Mine are nasty looking after just one season.
Don't forget a rear tow point either. A receiver works nicely.

I'd say your cheapest solution would be to get down to the junkyard and find one with factory hooks front and rear.

Jump, what do you think those plates would do in a good hard side pull? You could probably come up with some c-channel to do this, but it would look like ass IMHO.

OneTonXJ

I take it factory hooks are front only? are they fairly universal? Did they have rear hooks as well?

you can get a 2" front receiver for under $100.. i am having mine modified this weekend so the receiver box is in front of the drawbar and not below it.... then it will tuck up out of the way and barely noticable.. and i'm having it boxed to act as a skid plate too... easily removed when you dont need it and stronger than any towhooks and brackets.....
mike

The factory hooks and brackets, both front and rear are nothing more than a joke. I have seen many mangled so badly they tweaked the bumper something terrible. A guy in our local club twisted 2-3 sets up on a 2000 XJ and they dealer would only offer 1 replacement.
If your going to do it, spend $75 w/ Rusty and get his....ive side pulled hard and never tweaked rustys mounts nor hooks.

The rear "hook" , I wouldn't snatch to that w/ my rig, but thats me. Just doesnt seem to be enough area to spread around the load ....a hitch is a far better idea and can be had used for $50

Regards
Chewy

Well, way back when I had the factory hooks on my 88 they worked like a dream. I did all kinds of crazy pulls from every angle and never once bent mine. The brackets were quite stout looking to me when I pulled them off and threw them in the trash (hanging my head in shame). I have seen the newer style hooks mangled just by looking at them though.

I was not suggesting that 1/4" flat by itself would work. You would need to channel it well. We are talking about a short term solution here. If it tears up the bumper in a nasty pull...who cares? He is replacing soon anyway! :D

Heres what you do -

Go ahead and get Rustys or C4x4 tow hook bracket. After Moab, or after you get your new bumper, you can sell the tow hooks to someone else for a fair price, especially if you end up not having to use them at Moab. Lots of people are interested in tow hooks and brackets...

One Ton, The new ones have the tow hook bracket and bumper mount inc. into one unit" cheap DC weld job and thin metal". Thus there is no way to remove the "tow hook brackets from the front bumper mount.

The older style you hade was a 2 pcs deal no?

The new 1pc style are so flimsy the dealership wont back them up when they get trashed ..even when you still have the 3/36 left. At least one dealer out here said "they aren't made for that kind of stuff"

I was just trying to save the guy some headache because out here I would get changed around $50 at a junk yard for them IF I could find them , not likely ....not worth my time and effort when i can buy a products 10X stronger from Rusty or C4x4.

As someone else said....buy the brackets now ...... when you buy a bumper as i did, you can sell the used brackets and get back almost what you paid... I think i sold mine here for $60 and i picked up shipping.

Regards
Chewy

EricsXJ said:
Heres what you do -

Go ahead and get Rustys or C4x4 tow hook bracket. After Moab, or after you get your new bumper, you can sell the tow hooks to someone else for a fair price, especially if you end up not having to use them at Moab. Lots of people are interested in tow hooks and brackets...

:wstupid:I would go with what he said... youll prolly loose about $30-$40 max.

Or you can do like I did.......

And build your own.

1468152x6sqx18.jpg

151766Towhookbrwholes.jpg

151768TowhookbrwholesII.jpg

160414Righttowhook.jpg

2x6 .25 rectangular tube. Makes a nice sturdy bracket.

The tow hooks with 3 holes will fit where the swaybar mounts to the frame. Just sandwich the hook mount between the sway bar and frame. I did this for a while before I built my bumper with no negative effects.

Dan

Back