• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

where is my brake fluid going??

mikereid350

NAXJA Forum User
ok i got a 00 xj.with 4 wheel discs now am looseing brake fluid have to fill up res every 2-3 fillups.. i took off the wheels and checked calipers for leaks none.. my brake pad are not wearing out.. i have a good pedel feel they don't bleed down.. i have had a helper stand on the brake peddle while i looked for a leak can't see one.. youd think after adding fluid regularly i see some kinda wet spots.. any suggestions..

check the booster, you could leak it there...
don't hit the brake hard, just rest your foot on it with it run in gear, see if the pedel goes down slow then

same thing happened to me last year, turned out out all my fluid leaked into my booster because of a bad seal or something, anyway had to replace it all including the booster because so much fluid was trapped in there.

mucovich said:
same thing happened to me last year, turned out out all my fluid leaked into my booster because of a bad seal or something, anyway had to replace it all including the booster because so much fluid was trapped in there.
Thats freaky like loosing coolant thru a leaky intake manifold. It goes out the tail pipe and you never see it or smell it.

ok since my master cyl is probally leaking into the boooster.. and since i added rear discs.. what is the best booster upgrade to do? i have 31" tires on now but going to 33" over the winter....i like to have more braking power..

Back