• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30 Axle Seal Replacement.....

BronsonXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have to replace my axle seal on the drivers side of my front axle due to a slow leak. I have read several threads regarding replacement of other parts in the general vicinity along with how to replace the seals. While I have everything apart are there other parts that I should consider replacing so I don't have to dismantle it a second time, i.e. ball joints, u-joints, etc? Or am I going a little overboard? I'm lifted 6".

If you have alot of miles and the front has never been rebuilt I would go ahead and replace everything, ball joints, all seals and bearings, brake hoses etc. This might be a good time to install some of those nifty anodized aluminum outer axle tube seals I have seen on wranglers. If nothing else, they look pretty cool.

X2, at the very minimum do the other seals on the axle, if one is leaking the others may be close to it as well.

If you don't know the history it's always good to replace the other stuff while you've got it torn down.

I tried to replace a leaking axle seal on the passenger side. I couldn't for the life of me get the new seal in. I ended up putting the old seal back in and used silicone to seal the metal part to the inside of the axle tube, hasn't leaked since. If the rubber of the seal is still in good condition and fits tight against the axle shaft you may just want to do this.

BronsonXJ said:
Thanks for the heads up, much appreciated! I wouldn't be the least bit suprised if my seal won't come out either.
I used a long piece of pipe and a hammer to remove my seals. Installing tham can be a pain cuz there's not much room to swing a hammer inside the carrier.

Complete Offroad www.completeoffroad.com sells diff tools...they have a real nice seal installer....and its not awful expensive....I built my own that turned out very similar...needed to install seals without pulling your hair out.

Back