• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Spray Bomb orig. Alum wheels

bl87xj

NAXJA Forum User
O.K. kind of embarassed to post this up. but.

I have original Jeep aluminum 5-point star wheels on my '88 (must be a name for them)

They are in fine condition, but it looks like someone may have tried to clean them with oven cleaner or something. I was wondering if anybody has pics of alum wheels that have been spray painted?

I was thinking of a satin black or see if I can find a gun metal looking finish.

Anyone got pics?

Here are my old stock rims satin black. They actually came out quite nice. I knew the paint wouldn't stick long, but the clearcoat was bubbling and the rims were oxidizing underneath. I don't have them on anymore, but they are great backups, and the paint is still sticking.

DSCF0091.jpg

xcm said:
if i could physically hurt the man who designed those oem 10 hole rims, i would

SOOOO ugly
sorry, nothing personal

I'd like to have a 'chat' with him or her as well...:twak: But my reasoning is that the lugnut holes on them are TINY.

I can barely get the lugnuts started with 2 fingers, and my fingers arent even fat. It's a major PITA when swapping sets of tires.

I like the 5 spoke's appearance and lug clearance much more.

I painted an aluminum boat once and it came out great because sombody told me to wash it down with muratic acid first. You can get it for swimming pools or maybe still at Home depot for cleaning concrete. It really stuck great thru fishing and hunting and just beating the crap out it.

You can also use Simple Green, it etches the aluminum so that the paint sticks. But the wheels on XJs are clearcoated, so you can put paint right on top of that if you just scuff it up a bit first.

Back