• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hood removal...

DIKASUN

NAXJA Forum User
ok, so i am spraypainting my '92 xj and everything goes well until i get to the hood. painting on a horizontal surface sucks. it LOOKS like it has been done with spraypaint, unlike everything else, which is smooth. i tried opening the hood and painting it like that. no bueno. so, i decided i should take the hood off and hang it to paint it, but i cant figure out the best way to disconnect the latch release cable. i know people have taken the hood off before. help a brother out.

Last edited:
The hood end of the cable has a little barrel at the end of the wire, similar to the end of an old-style bicycle brake cable. The lever in the release mechanism has a slot, and you must rotate the cable end until the cable lines up with the slot, then remove it sideways. You need first to unclip the sheath from the clips in the hood to create a little slack, then bull back on the sheath to get it free, then rotate the cable itself until the wire lines up with the slot.

That may be a little hard to describe without a diagram, but if you look carefully at the cable end and the lever it goes into, it makes sense. You do not need to remove the mechanism from the hood.

PS: the latch can get pretty rusty and it may be a little difficult to distinguish what's what, and to get things loose enough to come apart. Get plenty of juice on it, and it will, though.

Back