• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Never would have believed it

cygnus58

NAXJA Forum User
Man, in the past few weeks due mostly to this forum and my interest in the 88 Renix 4.0 system it has been very interesting.
It all started with the cracked flexplate. Other than the noise, the engine would run right up to 4500rpm with no hesitation. After the costly repair, it started fine, idled fine but would cough and spit around 3000 rpm. I was so happy to have the obnoxious noise gone that I was sort of satisfied. And 1600rpm was highway speed anyway. In the back of my mind I thought the only thing disturbed even remotely related to engine performance during the flex swap would be the CPS. But I kept settling for how it was.
The thing has run reliably for 2 months every day. (except for a wild goose chase in another thread related to CPS)
Being told so often the CPS would only cause a nostart, intermittent start, or stall, I kept trying other stuff. TPS, MAP, ignition module, CTS, unhooking O2, plugs, cap, rotor, oil flush and change, air filter, CCV rebuild, EGR, spare ECU, Injector cleaner. I ordered an OEM CPS and had it in the glovebox for spare until today. Had some spare time and felt like a little cussing was in order so I crawled under, 20 minutes later test drive showed loss of power and hesitation gone! Now the "weaker?" one is in the glove for an emergency spare and the 11mm with extensions is in the back.

Last edited:
So you are saying that ht e old one was worn out? And that the new one was stronger?

Back