• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil Additives. What's a 242ci owner to do?

Every 3rd oil change I swap a qt of oil for a qt of Marvel Mystery Oil, and put the rest in the gas tank. People that ride in my heep are astounded that it has 160k on the clock.

WOW :eyes:, this is really major motor oil news for all of us. This could be a real problem for those of us with the 4.0 engine!!!!!!

Check this out:

http://www.youroil.net/

"[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Warning ** Warning ** Warning[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Thank you for visiting our website. Before you start looking for the things that brought you here, I need to tell you about a problem that has recently surfaced. The oil companies are constantly reformulating their products to improve them and to meet new government regulations. The newest oils have the letters SM for gasoline engines and CJ for diesel engines - as of May 2007. These latest formulations contain reduced levels of Phosphorus and Zinc that were mandated by the US Government because of evidence that high levels of P and Zn damage catalytic converters. The problem arises for owners of older cars. If you are caring for a car made before approx. 1995 you may have increased wear on some internal engine components if using these newer oil formulations. One solution has been to add Zn and P back to the oil using an additive such as GM's EOS Engine Oil Supplement at every oil change. In addition, it appears Boron is a good alternative to Zn and P. With the high cost of engine rebuilds, it may make sense to risk damage to a catalytic converter rather than destroy an engine. Naturally, more study is needed on this important subject. I plan to update this part of my website as more information becomes available.[/FONT]"

:(

corbinafly said:

peleejosh said:

So is snake oil, LOL.:laugh3:

Ok, so how about some details :twak:, how long have you used it, miles, pictures before and after????? Why did you use it?

:cheers:

Ecomike said:
So is snake oil, LOL.:laugh3:

Ok, so how about some details :twak:, how long have you used it, miles, pictures before and after????? Why did you use it?

:cheers:

Started using it a few months ago. I am on my second treatment phase. I did check the oil filter after the first clean phase, not much stuff in it. But after the first rinse phase, the filter was nasty. All kinds of deposits. I started using it becuase I have 257,000 miles on my engine and under the valve cover was pretty sludgy (might have made up that word) and it had a vavle tap. Tap is still there, but not as bad. No pics of anything, sorry. My camera and oily and greasy hands don't mix.
Do a search on bobistheoilguys site. There are several people who use and like this product.

I would be real concerned about that trash going through the oil pump on the way to the oil filter. Keep us updated on the progress!

Oh, and what is the treatment phase versus the rinse phase? I did not see anything about two phases!

I have a 2000 Jeep Cherokee with 159,000 miles it has run like a dream and the only additive that I have ever put into it is Restore. It will probably run you 7 dollars at the local parts store. I have done this every oil change and it still runs as good as the day I got it.

Ecomike said:
I would be real concerned about that trash going through the oil pump on the way to the oil filter. Keep us updated on the progress!

Oh, and what is the treatment phase versus the rinse phase? I did not see anything about two phases!

Treatment or cleaning Phase is when you have the Auto RX in the oil. Rinse phase is when you change oil and filter and run for about 2000 miles with just oil (no auto rx). Look here

http://www.auto-rx.com/pages/applications2.htm

I am very leary of wonder additives after I bought some expensive stuff that I saw advertised in a major magazine. I went to their website and read a bunch of "engineering data" and test results that seemed to prove that this additive was a real breakthrough in additives. Well long story short, I had to replace all the seals in my transfer case which sprung leaks within 100 miles of the additive. Also, the engine front seals started leaking. I will stick to mobil 1 and marvel mystery oil, tried and true.

Back