• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Penetrating Oils

Alienspecimen

NAXJA Forum User
Someone dropped on my desk a copy of a magazine article on testing different types of penetrating oils.
Here is a summary for ya:
It appears that PB blaster is more effective than WD40, but not by much.
Third place is held by Liquid Wrench, second by Kano Kroil and first by...
a homemade mix one to one ratio of ATF/Acetone.
Thought this little info might help you next time you decide to change the rear shocks...

PB Blaster only slightly more effective? Bahhhh.... I love that stuff!

Anyone ever try the SeaFoam penetrating spray?

Its advertising BS,WD40 isnt a penetrant or an oil!It wont do anything on rusty parst!

penetrating oil WD40 is not

WD-40 is the trademark of a widely-used (cleaner, lubricant and anti-corrosive solution) developed in 1953 by Norm Larsen, then working for the Rocket Chemical Company. It stands for "Water Displacement, 40th attempt". Its first industrial use was by Convair, which used WD-40 to protect the outer skin of the Atlas missile from rust and corrosion. The product became commercially available on store shelves in San Diego in 1958.

Main ingredients, from the material safety data sheet, are:

* 50%: Stoddard solvent (mineral spirits, also commonly known as dry cleaning solvent)
* 25%: Liquefied petroleum gas (presumably as a propellant, carbon dioxide is used now to reduce considerable flammability)
* 15+%: Mineral oil (light lubricating oil)
* 10-%: Inert ingredients

PB Blaster Rules !!

Last edited:
Sea Foam takes the cake;..... and all the crumbles too.

I knew about ATF - Type F being best - but I didn't know about cutting it in half with acetone. I'll have to remember that for larger seized parts...

Makes sense, since the acetone will get loose what the detergents in Type F will not, and it will thin the base oil down enough to let it really soak into things...

Oh - and ATF Type F also makes a good hand cleaner, in a pinch. Wash with Type F, then again with regular bar soap (to remove the Type F.)

I've mixed ATF and Kerosene, used it to clean rusty bolts, drop in a glass applesauce container and leave it for a couple of weeks.

RichP said:
I've mixed ATF and Kerosene, used it to clean rusty bolts, drop in a glass applesauce container and leave it for a couple of weeks.

Then light it and now let heat do the rest... :flame: :flame:

cjben said:
is deep creep made by sea foam? it seems to work a little better than pb blaster when i have used it.
Yep, I prefer it over PB Blaster!

Deep-Creep-small.jpg

As far as WD40 being any good at rust prevention is debatable. As an armorer I have read studies on rust preventatives and it was always almost dead last! Vaseline did a better job on firearms.

Back