• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

operating temp. (am I just paranoid)

bl87xj

NAXJA Forum User
Recently picked up this '88, 4.0, auto 150K miles (closed system)

Have read so much about the overheating problems. I replaced the cracked coolant tank then had all the radiator and heater hoses changed, the whole system flushed and pressure tested. t-stat and water pump all checked out o.k.

What should the expected operation temp. be?

The jeep runs about a needle width to the right of 210 around town, dropping down to the left of 210 when moving. It does seem to drop down a bit quicker since the service.

What can I do to see if it is going to have a tendancy to overheat?

I would like to gain the confidence to rely on the jeep for around town DD and weekenders without being paranoid about the temp.

That's normal for the 4.0L - you should be very aware however that the overflow bottle has a cap that should NOT be tightened down with gorilla strength. There's a rubber washer inside that loves to tear when people get overzealous, and you'll have to replace the whole thing if you dork it up. Snug is fine.

Operating temp is 210*, plus or minus.
Thermostat should be a 195*

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Those temps sound about right. Tendencies? Well, just drive it for a long time, lots of slow up-hill etc, that will warm her up. If you don't overheat, you should be good to go imho.

Back