• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Advice on testing injectors needed please!

liviu

NAXJA Forum User
I am getting ready to replace my original 22.5 injectors with the 23.2 lbs (PN 53030778) on my '99 Cherokee. I have about 10 (all used) and I'd like to use the best 6. What can I do and what should I be looking for? Thanks a lot.

P.S. yes, I know, I do have the harness adapter.

why do u want to go so big?

You can have them tested off the rig if you can find a shop with the equipment to bench test them. If you go this route have them pick 6 that match the closest.

After install, if you have (or can borrow) a multimeter or injector tester that measures the pulse bandwidth you can get a good idea of 6 injectors that match fairly close. This method doesn't tell you the amount of fuel delivered just the duration or presence of the pulse signal. Good Luck

Fluke: http://us.fluke.com/usen/products/Fluke+88V.htm?catalog_name=FlukeUnitedStates

OTC injector tester: http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/OTC-3398.html

Wa Woody said:
This method doesn't tell you the amount of fuel delivered just the duration or presence of the pulse signal.

Thanks a lot. Isn't the duaration of the signal to injector the same on all of them, and is actually decided by the computer?

I just had all six off of my 90' cleaned, rebuilt, and bench tested for $110 at a local carb/fuel injector shop. They have the knowlege and tools to do it right. Sometimes its better to just let the experts make a little money!

My .02 worth

Your best bet is to take them all to a shop that can flow test them and go from there. At the shop I work at we flow test them and check the spray pattern on our flow bench, then imerse them if the cleaner and they are cleaned with ultrasound, back to the flow bench and retest - sometimes 2 times through the cleaner is needed - if they don't perform properly after 2 cleaning cycles they go in trash. When all this goes well you will have a nicely matched set of injectors with new internal filters installed, sometimes even new injectors don't have equal flow and be cautious about "refurbished" do you really know what quality control was used, possibly even just an external clean up is all that was done. Should be an injection shop in your area or check the high line independent repair shops, that is what we do - Jaguar, Porsche, Land Rover, Aston Martin and such, and of course MY JEEPS. Hope this helps, and yes the pulse duration signal is determined by the ECM.

Mike

xjtrailrider said:
I just had all six off of my 90' cleaned, rebuilt, and bench tested for $110 at a local carb/fuel injector shop. They have the knowlege and tools to do it right. Sometimes its better to just let the experts make a little money!

My .02 worth

I totally agree. I am just wondering if for that kind of money I am not better off buying new injectors. I could buy 6 brand new for @ 140 to my door, including S&H. What I would not be getting is matched injectors. Anyway, thanmks a lot.

liviu said:
I totally agree. I am just wondering if for that kind of money I am not better off buying new injectors. I could buy 6 brand new for @ 140 to my door, including S&H. What I would not be getting is matched injectors. Anyway, thanmks a lot.

That's what I did. For the $30 delta, new made more sense than picking out the best of 12 injectors that had seen 250K miles.

Back