• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Western Trek (July 2007)

IntrepidXJ

NAXJA Member #647
OK, I guess this new forum is as good of place as any to put up some info about my upcoming trip. First of all, I bought a 2000 XJ back in Feb, that I am now working my ass off to get it ready for this trip.....so I'm hoping it will be ready in time ;) I will be leaving from work on July 19th......so I better get my ass moving.

Anyways, you may look at the following trip and think I have scheduled way too much for the time I have.....and perhaps I have......but I am good at covering a lot of ground, plus I would rather over-plan for the trip and maybe not quite get everywhere if I do run short on time. Here's a brief overview of the areas I plan on hitting up......I have planned the route in more detail, but will leave those out.

Once I take the drive from Illinois to Colorado, I plan on keeping off the pavement as much as possible. The plan is to start out at the Sawatch Mountain Range, and hit up some of the more popular trails in that area for the first weekend. I'm supposed to meet up with DJ and Formatt that weekend. From there I will be meeting up with the Colorado Chapter in the San Juans for a few days at ColoradoFest. I won't be able to stay too long though, since I need to be in Grand Junction for a few days to attend the UFWDA Conference to represent NAXJA.

Even though I know it's going to be hot (at least I have working AC), I can't be that close to Moab and not stop by for a day or two. I'm planning on taking the back roads in from Gateway, CO through the La Sals. From there I'm going to shoot up the San Rafael Swell and 9 Mile Canyon area to the Unitas, where it should be a little cooler ;) (thanks to xjblue for some info on this area)

Then I plan on heading over to the Wind River Range in WY, over to check out Devil's Tower, and then exploring the Black Hills NF over to Deadwood.

Lastly, on my way back home, I'm going to drive through Badlands NP.

The trip is going to be about 2.5 weeks long. Unlike previous trips I have taken, I am not looking for hardcore rock-crawling, mostly just nice scenic drives and camping. Lots of photography, too :)

Anyways, like I said, I got my route pretty much down, but if any of you have any suggestions for me, I'm always open to ideas.....and if I don;t use them this trip, I'll definitely keep them listed for future trips :)

Sounds like a good plan to me! (I am one for driving like mad for days though!)

Look forward to hearing how your trip went!

IntrepidXJ said:
I need to be in Grand Junction for a few days to attend the UFWDA Conference to represent NAXJA.

Give me a call when your in GJ, I'll buy you a beer
970-270-5958 Tracy
:cheers:

Sounds like a blast! Too bad our dates wont allow us to meet up out west.

Have you been to the Badlands before? I could post some pics later if you'd like.

Badlands NP

HPIM1118.jpg

HPIM1121.jpg

Custer NP

HPIM1168.jpg

HPIM1164.jpg

Buffalo Gap NGL

HPIM1140.jpg

HPIM1139.jpg

And watch out for the hostiles...

HPIM1198.jpg

Wow Randy!
You got me jelous for sure. I'd love to take a trip like that. Oh, to be single again......:D I really hope to get out there myself sometime.

I'd tell you to take lots of pics but, we all know that won't be necessary since you and your camera get along so well.

Very nice pics John!

Hale

No more rubicon?

Here is a 6:00am sunrise in north eastern Wyoming from about 1 month ago... I snaped this shot on the way to the baja competition, because the sun was coming up, and we still hadnt stopped driving...
stp81135.jpg

The badlands has a great hiking trail called the Notch trail. Not long but you will need a strech after the driving. Devils Tower has a inner loop hiking trail which is about a mile around and an outer loop trail that is about 3 miles, hardly used and well worth it also. You can do everthing you need to do at devils tower in a couple of hours if you are planning a short stay. I'm sure you will include Mt.Rushmore. Take 16 south just out of the park till you get to the top. You will go thru some cool 1 lane tunnles and have great views of Mt. Rushmore. Watch out for toataly insane scateboarders comming down that road and remember to honk as you enter the short tunnles. Your gonna have a blast!

IntrepidXJ said:
OK, I guess this new forum is as good of place as any to put up some info about my upcoming trip. First of all, I bought a 2000 XJ back in Feb, that I am now working my ass off to get it ready for this trip.....so I'm hoping it will be ready in time ;) I will be leaving from work on July 19th......so I better get my ass moving.

Anyways, you may look at the following trip and think I have scheduled way too much for the time I have.....and perhaps I have......but I am good at covering a lot of ground, plus I would rather over-plan for the trip and maybe not quite get everywhere if I do run short on time. Here's a brief overview of the areas I plan on hitting up......I have planned the route in more detail, but will leave those out.

Once I take the drive from Illinois to Colorado, I plan on keeping off the pavement as much as possible. The plan is to start out at the Sawatch Mountain Range, and hit up some of the more popular trails in that area for the first weekend. I'm supposed to meet up with DJ and Formatt that weekend. From there I will be meeting up with the Colorado Chapter in the San Juans for a few days at ColoradoFest. I won't be able to stay too long though, since I need to be in Grand Junction for a few days to attend the UFWDA Conference to represent NAXJA.

Even though I know it's going to be hot (at least I have working AC), I can't be that close to Moab and not stop by for a day or two. I'm planning on taking the back roads in from Gateway, CO through the La Sals. From there I'm going to shoot up the San Rafael Swell and 9 Mile Canyon area to the Unitas, where it should be a little cooler ;) (thanks to xjblue for some info on this area)

Then I plan on heading over to the Wind River Range in WY, over to check out Devil's Tower, and then exploring the Black Hills NF over to Deadwood.

Lastly, on my way back home, I'm going to drive through Badlands NP.

The trip is going to be about 2.5 weeks long. Unlike previous trips I have taken, I am not looking for hardcore rock-crawling, mostly just nice scenic drives and camping. Lots of photography, too :)

Anyways, like I said, I got my route pretty much down, but if any of you have any suggestions for me, I'm always open to ideas.....and if I don;t use them this trip, I'll definitely keep them listed for future trips :)

I want a track log when you get back

you have to at least give us a glimpse of what youre doing for your build up.

this has been 'top secret' for way too long!

plus, its only like a week away, so i know your xj is getting close...

pictures please!!!

kndrewa said:
you have to at least give us a glimpse of what youre doing for your build up.

this has been 'top secret' for way too long!

plus, its only like a week away, so i know your xj is getting close...

pictures please!!!

i haven't been keeping my build top secret.....just check out my website for updates ;) www.myxj.net

lots of pics there :)

.....and I'm supposed to leave 2 weeks from today.....hopefully my XJ will be ready in time!

Randy,

Can you give us some specs? I am interested in the lift you chose axles, tire size, etc. Just wondering what you picked for the 'epedition' rig.

Glen

Back