• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A/C problem

MG2000XJ

NAXJA Forum User
When I turn on my a/c the belt squeels and it runs cold for about 5 min. the belt will stop squeeling but the the coldness dies, turns into just hot air? any ideas?

It could be your AC pumps clutch that is making the noise, and then possibly not engaging after a bit. If you're not real familiar with the system, your best to take it to someone who does it for a living.

Sounds like you may be low on freon, or the compressor is failing. My money would be on a leaking evaporator causing a low freon condition and running the ac compressor out of oil.

YXwhenUcanFAB? said:
Sounds like you may be low on freon, or the compressor is failing.

My thoughts exactly. Compressor may be failing because of low refrigerant. What year vehicle you driving? Most of the R134 systems have a small amount of oil in with the refrigerant for the purpose of lubing the compressor.

For the brief squeel noise, it sounds like the AC clutch going out. It happened on my '98, and I had it replaced. You can also search "AC clutch" to see how others have dealt with this issue.

Do a search on "low pressure switch". It's common problem on late model XJ's. What happens is that you evaporator is icing up, which is caused by a faulty low pressure switch. You get cool air initially, until the ice builds up and all you get is warmish air becauce the evaporator is covered over in ice.

Once the ice melts, your AC works fine until it ices up again..... Do you notice large amounts of water under the passenger side of your rig after it's been sitting a while, after running your AC? That's a big clue....

Ivan

Back