• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rumble on decelleration?

LABMBA87

NAXJA Forum User
'94 XJ 4.0 AW4 NP231 4.5" RE on 31.10.5.15's. When taking foot off the skinny pedal at 45+ when warm, there is a load rumbling vibration that is rotational under the driver seat and tunnel. I would assume it's in the drive-train, and I have it on a lift right now at work. There are NO loose U-joints and I can't see any visible signs or witness marks of much of anything?
I do have the Chrysler 8.25 and I have a funny feeling there is some backlash issue so I am pulling the rear diff cover.

Any other rec. while I have it in the air? T-case?
TIA
Scott:rattle:

Just pulled the diff cover and found what looks to me to be excessive backlash. I have the 8.25 in the rear and if I'm correct it's only supposed to be .008 and i have like .015-.020. hmmmm?? anyone think this is the prob? I don't have the money to regear, and this is my daily rig so......... Do I need to just let it blow up and then regear or do I need to fix it?
Thanks
Scott

Double check and make sure the pinion nut is tight. It can cause what you say. It will make the backlash open up over time and ultimately will fubar the gears and bearings. Don't ask me how I know.:jester:

Ok, not to undercut anyone, but with 3.75-4.25 inches of lift, why on eart should I need a SYE? If I tighten up that pinion nut, won't i blow up my crush sleeve and stuff? How can I make sure I have the 8.25 without taking the diff cover back off? Any and all ideas are helpful at this point?
Scott

I got 2 prices. USA standard gear set for 131.xx or US Gear for 224.xx?? Anybody used these?? Any one know about them? The master OverHaul kit for the 8.25 is 75.16.. Decent?

LABMBA87 said:
Ok, not to undercut anyone, but with 3.75-4.25 inches of lift, why on eart should I need a SYE? If I tighten up that pinion nut, won't i blow up my crush sleeve and stuff? How can I make sure I have the 8.25 without taking the diff cover back off? Any and all ideas are helpful at this point?
Scott

I had the same rumble while letting off the gas, had it while I had about 4" of lift. Went to 7" of lift, added a SYE and now have no rumble, maybe just a coincidence.

A SYE at 4" of lift is not uncommon. Do the cheap stuff first, but once you realize that you need a SYE, you wont be undercutting nobody.

Back