• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

94 XJ Severe Electrical Problem

capnsean520

NAXJA Forum User
Well, I was coming home from work today when all of a sudden... No AC, NO Radio, NO turn signals, and NO power from the cigarette lighter... Has anyone had this problem before, and if so, what was the cause? I've already checked and it's not a single fuse, under hood, or in cabin. This is my only vehicle and, even though it's not such a "big deal", IT'S SUMMER TIME IN SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA!! I need the AC which used to work oh so well...

How old is your battery? This may sound stupid, but my '90 suffered exactly the same symptoms, thought it was a bad ground....only the battery went stone dead within a month.....XJ's do NOT have much battery, once standard batts start going bad.....they're toast. Charging system OK? any other issues? Load testing you battery might reveal something...good luck,

Bret S Gray
1990 XJ
1992 MJ

I would pull the fuse for the radio and check both of the contacts in the fuse box with a test light or meter. One of the two contacts should be hot with the key in the run position. If your not getting any power there, the problem could be your ignition switch. I have seen this on other Chrysler vehicles.

Back