• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dana 35 disc brakes

Gerr

NAXJA Forum User
I have a non c-clip dana 35 on my 89 yj thats built up pretty well for its use and the yj's whopping 110 hp (cromo shafts, detroit, 4.56 gears) but I wana upgrade the brakes. does anyone know of a disc setup that will work on a non c-clip dana 35? or a bigger drum setup maybe?

They all work but its a hell of a waist of money on a 35!

RCP Phx said:
They all work but its a hell of a waist of money on a 35!
I havent broken it in 12 trips to JV and more than I can count in big bear, stodard valley, mohave, afton canyon, azusa, and about 100 hours forest service time. Im not worried about breaking it, and if it ever does happen I have a set of spare shafts. question was about disc setups or larger drums.
Would drums from a 44 swap over?

I took brakes from a '94 Lincoln Towncar and had only minor fitment issues. I had to turn the rotors down a little on the e-brake hat and added Rubicon bearing retainers to space the bracket correctly. Other than that, it was fairly easy and still works great for me.

I'm building an 8.8 as we speak with an ARB. My present axle is a D35 bolt in shaft. I didn't break a shaft until the ARB was installed in the 35. I ran a LockRight for about 6 years and about 100k miles with no issues previously.

90's Crown Vic rear disks have the same bearing retainer pattern. Basically open the center hole of the rotor and the lug holes a hair and it's bolt on. I had to trim a little off edge of the axle end to get the backing plate to sit right. Many have reported the Rubicon retainers work, but the ones I got were too big (barely hit the od of the outer seal). You'll need to redo the hard lines to metric and deal with the parking brake. Cheap if you grab parts at the pull-n-save. Mine cost me $30. There are a few writeups if you search.

Back