• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

salvaged jeep inspection wsdot

Brian Strickland

NAXJA Forum User
i have to get it inspected to get my salved title. my bumpers are just barely under the 29" rear and 27" front rule, aftermarket bumpers stick out alittle farther than stock ones, everything else is fine, lights ect... i do not have flares of any sort on there. the tires stick out alittle, 33x10.50's on a 3.75 bs. i'd rather not put flares on for this inspection comming up, if i can avoid it. i do plan on putting on some mud flaps for it though. has anyone had one of these inspections? it's at my local state patrol office( port angeles) i heard the guy is retired coast guard so maybe he'll go easy on me. basically my insurance totalled it because of a few dented up doors, broken lights, messed up paint. mechanically it is very sound, only 84,000 miles and a 3550..it's a 2000. insurance gave me 6900 after 250 ded, and then i bought it back for 850. very sweet deal. anyways didn't mean to get off topic, just wanted to know what to expect from this inspection. thanks-brian

I'm sure John90XJ will chime in. He recently went through this EXACT situation.

The WSP inspection has less to do /w bumpers, flares, etc. and MORE to do with the VIN's matching and you having receipts for the work done or parts, etc.

J

Plan on answering very few questions about the rig other than producing evidence that any parts it needed were procured from a wrecking yard with a receipt AND the VIN from the donor vehicle. Not having that is a major PITA. If you didn't need parts or didn't fix anything, make sure they know that right away.

Make sure the VIN numbers match the vehicle VIN or the VIN on the parts receipts. If there is any discrepancy they tend to believe you acquired stolen parts. That's what they're really after....chop shops and unregulated wrecking yards.

John90XJ said:
Plan on answering very few questions about the rig other than producing evidence that any parts it needed were procured from a wrecking yard with a receipt AND the VIN from the donor vehicle. Not having that is a major PITA. If you didn't need parts or didn't fix anything, make sure they know that right away.

Make sure the VIN numbers match the vehicle VIN or the VIN on the parts receipts. If there is any discrepancy they tend to believe you acquired stolen parts. That's what they're really after....chop shops and unregulated wrecking yards.

x2

We take xj's through quit a bit and have never had a problem as long as you show them reciepts with vin #'s. The only thing they are picky about is they don't like thing purchased over the internet. Has to be from a wrecking yard or parts place. Oh and make sure if you used a vehicle that you purchased for parts that you show that you own the vehicle and its vin #

MY92XJ said:
make sure if you used a vehicle that you purchased for parts that you show that you own the vehicle and its vin #

I had this happen to me and it turned into a big hassle. Bought a $200 parts car and didn't transfer the title since it was going to the wrecker when we were done anyway. Had to track down the prior owner after several months, out of state, and scrounge a bill of sale and registration.

Basically, do it right because they will expect nothing less.

i have no parts from other donor vehicles, on this jeep. except a d-44 that i swapped in a few months ago. really the only reason they totalled it was the several dents and broken lights. i've already replaced the lights and don't plan on fixing the doors. the windows and locks still work. i'll try posting some pics of the damage, it's hard to believe it was totalled.

John90XJ said:

x2. My wife's ZJ has 4.5" lift and 33's. Tires stick out a bit and the bumpers are higher than what WSP says is legal for GVWR. Inspection guy didn't care about any of that, said the troopers will take care of it for me later. :laugh: All he need to do was verify VIN's. Since no parts with VINs were replaced, it took me about 10 minutes to get cleared.

Back