• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Opinion on power for xj

Xjcowboy

NAXJA Forum User
First of all i have a 89 jeep xj with a non-HO. inline 6. I have headers, not cat, flowmaster, Msd ignition 6a box, accel 8mm wires, 4.56 gears.33x12.5 tires, CAI k&n

We have local mud races for 6cyl trucks and ive been going. i want a bit more power, ive been placing 2nd and 3rd.

I just want to know if im going the right direction with what im going to buy.
CPS mod
1995 4.0 HO fuel injectors
59.5 mm throttle body
Venom compurt chip thing.

A cam is the most bang for the buck. After that, a header and exhaust. The ultimate would be a stroker conversion.

Well idont have the money for a stoker, but how about the cam, can i just put in the cam or what else would i have to modify.

Would u know the exact things i would need, including part numbers,that would help thanx. So if i installed a cam i would just need the springs.

The first question is how is the mud? Are you finding the bottom? Is it deep enough you are pushing a lot of mud.
The trick is to move peak torque to where it will do the most good. There really is no one thing that will help other than cubes. With gearing being a close second. The rest is tuning to a specific RPM/torque band.
If you are running out of grunt, there is no easy cheap fix. If you are running out of RPM's there are some easier fixes.
I've found the three most important things being tires, reliability and technique.
Then some sort of traction aid in the differentials, I always preferred a locked rear and an open front. The open front helped the drive train last much longer. Someplace to dump excess torque if you hit a good spot and get some unexpectedly good traction.
Adding horses isn't necessarily the answer, most times the extra horses don't even appear till well into the RPM band and can actually hurt grunt (low end torque).
If anybody has ever figured out how to add horses, without increasing cubes or adding a compressor (or nitrous) and not moving peak torque higher in the RPM band, please share, I've never been able to do it in the 50 years I've been playing around with motors.

Xjcowboy said:
Well idont have the money for a stoker, but how about the cam, can i just put in the cam or what else would i have to modify.
Cams are designed to increase horsepower and move torque to specific RPM bands. Big tires, a ton of mud and relatively low speeds, usually means a trailer towing grind. Which just happens to be very near a stock 4.0 grind. Call some of the manufacturers and tell them what you want to do, which RPM band you plan on running and ask for there recommendations. Tell them the tire size and the gearing. Don't expect any radical improvement in the lower RPM band (below 3000 RPM).

Back