• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

probly a dumb question

redneckboarder

NAXJA Forum User
i was looking on 505performance.com and ran across short block and long block. what is the difference if any? i did a bit of searching and didnt find too much.
thank
Jon

Short block=engine block with rotating assembly

Long block=engine block with rotating assembly and cylinder head

The only dumb questions are the ones never asked......

Georgia Mike said:
Short block=engine block with rotating assembly

Long block=engine block with rotating assembly and cylinder head

The only dumb questions are the ones never asked......

very insightful yet purposeful.

xD

Those are the general definitions, but make sure you ask the vendor. I've seen a few that used different definitions. Some long blocks include covers (oil, valve) and are ready to bolt in and some don't.

funny story if you're interested.... guy i went to high school with used to walk around bragging about the "short block" 350 that was in his nova, saying it was really fast................... :twak:

General Definitions -

"Short Block" - Engine Block and Rotating Assembly. Cam and crankshaft should be timed, with timing chain/belt installed. May include oil pump in a loose package

"Long Block" - Engine Block, Rotating Assembly, and Cylinder Head. Cylinder Head is typically assembled. Typically includes oil pump (loose pack)

"Compleat Engine" - Gets fuzzy here, and depends on who you talk to. A "compleat" engine (also called a "crate" engine) is usually ready-to-install, with all sheetmetal pans (oil sump, valve cover) in place, and the the water pump is usually already installed as well. Typically, does not include accessory brackets (like alternator, aircon, power steering, and the like.) Ask on this one! Different vendors use different versions of "compleat," and "compleat" almost never includes the manifolds (especially on inline engines. Sometimes, you'll get the intake on a V-block engine - but it would be protected in transit by the cylinder heads, where an inline would not. You'll probably never get the exhaust manifolds with a "compleat" engine...) The flywheel/flexplate is not included.

"Total Engine" - I've heard this one used at a few junkyards and other salvage outfits - this is an engine that has been pulled, and still has all of the bracketry, bolt-ons, manifolds, &c still attached. I've only seen engines like this that were pulled from vehicles - either running or salvaged - and I'd probably only buy them as cores (with the thought of going through them myself anyhow.) The flywheel/flexplate will probably be the one that came out of the vehicle, and may not work for what you're going to put the engine into...

Anything beyond "long block" or "short block" should damn well be verified before you plonk down your dosh - so you know what you're buying. "Long block" and "short block" have become industry standard terms, and the definition of those is (nearly) universal.

Places that sell crate engines also sell them complete, ready to run with everything that they need.
The "total engine" you described sounds a lot like a "turn-key engine."

turbojoe said:
Places that sell crate engines also sell them complete, ready to run with everything that they need.
The "total engine" you described sounds a lot like a "turn-key engine."

Yah. Different phrase - same concept. That turns into one of those "depends on where you learned it" things. But, you've got the right idea.

Anything other than a "short block" or a "long block" is going to get verified before I plonk down cash, just so I know what else I have to buy...

Back