• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rack mounted lites

Mike Axle

NAXJA Forum User
Is anyone running roof rack mounted lites? How do you find they work? I have heard some complain about glare off the hood. Any good ideas for routing the wiring up to the lites?

I run 4 pro comp 110w spot lights off the front of a kargo master steel rack. There is glare involved, but nothing to keep you from seeing where you're headed (aiming is the key).

I ended up running the wires through one of the rack tubes to the back gate, in the top of the hatch, down the inside of the trim, and along the floor to my switches up front. It is a lot of wire, but I didn't need any to do any drilling, or anything to create any leaks.

I've had no problems for the 2 years they've been up.

I recommend lights on the rack for both functionality and their badass looks.

Good luck!

I'll be putting 2 IPF 868s up there soon - Don't Forget about possibly getting a guard fabbed up for them to protect against tree branches!

Unless of course, you just run cheapo wal mart lights.

Running 4 Hella 500 lookalikes I bought at Pepboys , work dam good.
6db6.jpg

I ran two in back and two up front just inside the rack to protect them from branches. I had the two up front aimed at about a 45* angle. It's great being able to see around corners.

I run eight hella 500s on the front, the five up top do really really well! no glare, and hell its just fun to burn the morning dew off of stuff!

DSCN2100.jpg

DSCN1817.jpg

Thanks for the good info guy's. I will be mounting lites on the rack ASAP. I like the wire routing through the tail gate and no drilling.

I have 2 Hella 500's on the front of my jeep. It seems like their not that bright. I use them all the time on the road and other drivers dont have a problem with it, I've even driven by cops with them on and I havent gotten in trouble yet. Is there anything I can do to make them brighter? I origionally had KC lights on the front but when I replaced them with the Hella's I used the KC harness because I'm lazy like that. Should I rewire them with the Hella Harness?

Cherokeekid88 said:
I actually used my stock luggage rack bar and mounted 4 pro comp 130W lights and from afar they do look like they are attached to my rack. but there not.
jeepy2-1.jpg

jeepy1-2.jpg

How did you mount them?Ran the wires?I was thinking on doing the same.Did you just drill thru?Thanks

I also have lights on the rear . I ran my wires inside the factory mounted roof rail and drilled a hole under the end cap of that rail, put a grommet in the hole ran the wires and then siliconed it up , reinstalled the end cap.

80a7.jpg

685c.jpg

Slick idea xjjeepthing! I'v been wondering how to do that as well.

For hood glare you could always tape off the hood and paint flat black the center raised section to eliminate it, i'll be doing this as well.

Thanks
Never had an issue with hood glare.

Another good way to route the wiring is to run it up the side of the trim starting at the fusebox on the pass side, going all the way up the A-pillar and then coming out at the top-rear of the pass front door, I wrapped the wire in a loom from where it comes out of the trim all along my lights, you can stuff the wire/connectors in the loom and just zip tie it to the rack. (I also didnt have to cut anything and the loom is tight on the truck so it doesnt look bad at all. The top of the door touches juuuuust barely touches the loom after it has a while to conform to the shape of the door. Works great and I didnt have to use 25 feet of wire!

I guess a picture really is worth a thousand words.. :looney:

IMHO racks look great and the lights up high really light up the road.

IMG_0582a.jpg

Glare is only a problem if you mount the lights too far forward.

IMG_0750a.jpg

Don't be afraid to drill your roof. Silicone is your friend. I ran a 6 pin trailer hitch connecter through the roof for easy removal of the rack.

Back