• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Welding fan clutch

Pharaoh XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I thought I share this mod havent seen anybody done that before
the pics speak for them selves
DSC00784.jpg

DSC00785.jpg

I ve been doing that for the last two summers works great.

Last edited:
you can feel a slight power loss
mpg is about the same
louder but not annoying
I can now leave AC on ( a traffic jam - a 40C heat ) with just the electric fan on .
The only disadvantage doesnt rev as fast & early shifting (auto)

104 Degrees! Yikes, you must really be in Africa. Considered running eletric fans?

Thought of it but dont like the idea of not having a fan constantly spinning. I cant wait till the temp sensor ECU starts the E fan by that time it will be boiling , it will take much longer to cool back & i ll spend more time on the high end of the temp.

you should think about running a large electric fan then so you dont have to keep doing this in the summer...

instead of running both [or all three] to your temp sensor. keep the origional hooked up to it, then run the other one [or two] to a switch inside the cab. this way you can turn it on and off whenever you like, and you can keep the power.

Pharaoh XJ said:
I thought I share this mod havent seen anybody done that before
the pics speak for them selves
DSC00784.jpg

I ve been doing that for the last two summers works great.

you know you can also just take the clip that's in the middle of the fan and rotate it 90degrees counterclockwise.

Pharaoh XJ said:
Thought of it but dont like the idea of not having a fan constantly spinning. I cant wait till the temp sensor ECU starts the E fan by that time it will be boiling , it will take much longer to cool back & i ll spend more time on the high end of the temp.

There must be something wrong with your sensor if it is 'boiling' before the A/C fan comes on. Or you just think it is as over 100*C and dont understand that pressure increases the boiling temperature? At what temp is the A/C coming on? Should be 105*C or 220*F which is perfect.

The AC fan comes on at around 110*C which is considered above the optimum temperature. I went to the factory where they assemble the jeeps asked an engineer he told me that a jeep should run at 100. My friends 4.0L WJ also runs at a 100.
Before this setup I was relying on the the fan override switch only I spend more time above a 100 = blew two hoses in 2 months then a radiator.
So i figured that a 100 C is the max i should be running because above that I start to loose performance and charging (alternator).
On the high way i m running just below so I m not running too cold or anything.

I have tightened the spring on these fan's in the past but I don't think I like th extra stress that having it "welded" does to both the fan or the rest of the system.

I have had had fan's come apart before in the engine compartment and it can do alot of damage!! This extra stress you are putting on the fan will make the fan more prone to failure, time will tell how long it holds together and what breaks first.

Michael

Pharaoh XJ said:
Did your fan just snap because of the stress ?
Cause I dont think a steel fan will break just from turning
I wouldn't do that with the stock fan unless you never rev above 3000 rpm. There is a reason they make flex fans. The factory clutch is supposed to freewheel above about 3000rpm.

Kyung

Back