• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

buying an "experienced" XJ

sharq

NAXJA Forum User
im thinking about buying a 95 XJ w/ 290,000 miles. is there anything i should think about or look for when i go to look at it or after the purchase if i buy.

the guy is asking $1300. i think im gonna try and talk him down a bit. im going to go look at it tomorrow.

Dang. That's a lot of miles, even for the 4.0L engine...

Look for rust. Look everywhere for rust, especially if it's been in the Salt Belt or near the sea.

the XJ i currently have a a hole burnt in piston 1. so i need a vehicle to get me around in the mean time while i rebuilt that motor. that motor only has 105,000 miles on it. i know i will eventually need to rebuild the motor with 290,000 miles on it but i figure with the new XJ it should hold up long enough till i can rebuild the other and i still have this one for parts.

how many more miles can the new XJ w/290,000 on it go it its the original unrebuilt motor?

definately enough to hold out for the finishing of the rebuild IMO [if it LOOKS the part]

if you get it. immediately change all the fluids. do a rad. flush. seafoam the motor and crank case, then change the oil. buy a new battery, spark plugs, ignition cables and distributer cap. clean out the alternator using some electrical cleaner, and check all hoses and connections for wear.

with all that done, [probably around 100 bucks, maybe less] it should be in good shape. especially after the seafoam clears everything out [you may want to do it twice, to get it nice and clean, and dont forget to put some in the gas tank, to help clear out the injectors]

id also replace the thermostat with a 180 or 195. just did mine and it made the engine run loads better [cooler]

other than that, its up to how well the previous owner took care of it...

travis

if the PO changed the oil at least every 4K and did regular maitenence, it should be fine. Listen for any engine noise or knocking, Check the oil, if it looks BLACK, don't buy it, he obviously hasnt showed it TLC. Check all fluids that you can, also pop off the oil cap and inspect the top half for murky colors.

well I run a 90 XJ with 302,xxx miles on it and it still runs fine other than it overheats on the freeway and intown for to long. I have finally decided to replace the motor and then rebuild this one. Mine is probably just so worn out that it finally just cant keep the temps down anymore, even after a complete new cooling system. So, if it runs good, take it for a good drive on the freeway to make sure it holds and then buy it. I only give yuo some history on mine becouse it runs so smooth that if I was a dishonest guy, I could sell mine for a pretty penny as long as I kept the test drive short.

AZRockRunner said:
well I run a 90 XJ with 302,xxx miles on it and it still runs fine other than it overheats on the freeway and intown for to long. I have finally decided to replace the motor and then rebuild this one. Mine is probably just so worn out that it finally just cant keep the temps down anymore, even after a complete new cooling system. So, if it runs good, take it for a good drive on the freeway to make sure it holds and then buy it. I only give yuo some history on mine becouse it runs so smooth that if I was a dishonest guy, I could sell mine for a pretty penny as long as I kept the test drive short.
33's on 3.55's isn't making it overheat :gee:

RyanM said:
33's on 3.55's isn't making it overheat :gee:

I run 33's with 4:10's

well, i did end up buying the xj. thought i'd share some pix.

DSCF0030.jpg

check out the interior.

jeep4.jpg

the exterior isnt that bad.

so far ive replaced the front pads but i still feel some grinding somewhere during breaking. guess ill check out the shoes. e-brake dont work.

seafoamed the crankcase, the fuel system and the intake. started tearing out the "giraffe" print interior.

yucca-man, you were right. rust is everywhere. i dont know how in the hell this thing got so rusty. the rear cargo area has gigantic rust holes, i tore the carpet out and found out how bad it really is.

the headlights work and the tail lights work, just not at the same time. ??? already put in a new headlight switch for that. didnt help.

the ride was super bouncy and found that the tranny mount was completely shot. put in new tranny mount. while i was installing the new tranny mount i discovered that all four floor boards have been replaced. i thought it was peculiar that whoever did it used self tapping screws.

theres only one shock in the rear. the rear leaves are shot. the front suspension looks good. seller said transfer case recently got a new chain.

all that fun for only $900.

motor is about to turn over 294,000 miles.

guess ill have to put the '29 ford on the back burner for a little while.

CanMan said:
RealTree Camo and black and white Giraffe print dont mix well.

the giraffe print was everywhere inside. the headliner and even the plastic molding that cover the rear inner fender wells. it was done pretty well but just isnt my style.

hey if it helps any im in the junkyard alot, I see alot of xj's with the 4.0 with sometimes upwards of 400.000 miles, none of the ones I saw in the boneyard were there for mechanical problems they were all wrecked, poor little jeeps it realy hurts my heart to see that but makes me feel better about mine :)

tigerShark said:
theres only one shock in the rear. the rear leaves are shot. the front suspension looks good. seller said transfer case recently got a new chain.

all that fun for only $900.

motor is about to turn over 294,000 miles.

guess ill have to put the '29 ford on the back burner for a little while.

one of the rear shock bolts probably snapped flush when he tried to replace the shocks, and he decided not to make a bad problem worse, or the mount is rusted through. Either way, you're in for a lot of fun with a holesaw and dremel, or, perhaps an air hammer. I posted a thread on that a while back.

294 is quite somethin but my brother's grand got to 240k with regular store-brand oil changes and STP filters every 150000 miles (now needs rings)- I imagine yours will probably get at least another 20k if it still runs and sounds good and doesn't overheat.

BTW that giraffe print has to be the coolest thing I've ever seen in a jeep. leave it in.:roflmao:

Back