• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

motor mount and clutch suggestions?

cjben

NAXJA Forum User
I am doing an engine swap in my 92 cherokee with 3 inch lift and 30x9.5 tires. 4.0 with 5 speed manual tranny. i need to replace the clutch and motor mounts. who makes a good quality product within a reasonable budget? and what store stocks the brand suggested? thanks for any ideas!!

Stock works well.

I have also picked up mounts from NAPA - no idea what the brand might have been.

Resist the urge to get bomb-proof/bullet-proof or poly mounts; they will transmit your engine movement and vibration into the "frame" and you'll constantly feel it. That's a wee bit excessive for a 30" tire..

Jim www.yuccaman.com

I broke two driver side engine mounts before I bought M.O.R.E. mounts. They were stiff and did transmit alot of vibration for a while but they softened up and now I don't notice them. Probably the last motor mounts you will ever have to buy.

cjben said:
thanks for the ideas. About the clutch,does it matter what parts place I buy it from as far as quality goes?
Where you buy from is less important than what brand. I recommend Zoom from past experience with a mustang but you might want to ask some of the manual tranny guys about that.

jeeperjohn said:
I broke two driver side engine mounts before I bought M.O.R.E. mounts. They were stiff and did transmit alot of vibration for a while but they softened up and now I don't notice them. Probably the last motor mounts you will ever have to buy.

I have experienced the same scenario with my M.O.R.E. mounts and I highly recommend them. Yea the are more money, but sometimes you get what you pay for. I have never had problems with my stock clutch, 89 with 140k miles and still no signs of issues. I don't see a need to put an aftermarket clutch in my case. I would probably just pick another up from the dealer or see if they recommend one from a chain type auto parts store, but I'm sure there are people out there that love their aftermarket ones as well.

markaboo929 said:
Yeah I recomend ZOOM clutch as well.I have posted about a new kevlar clutch I recieved from them to test.click here--->http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=919616 or search kevlar clutch here.There are some-well one-na sayer on this clutch.I really like it so far,and for the record it will outlast an oem clutch.

I have to ask, since you are still testing the prototype ..

how do you know it will outlast an OEM clutch? They often go 250,000+ miles, and you don't have anywhere near that on the one you are testing..

267,856 miles on the oem clutch so far......but, who's counting?:yelclap:

I really only notice my M.O.R.E. motor mounts when the A/C is on it tends to vibe a little bit but when the A/C is off they are barely noticable

I recommend the Centerforce 2 clutch. Be sure to clean and grease the assembly that the throwout pivots on and of course get your flywheel lathed.

Unless you don't know how to drive stick well, there's no reason (yet) to run anything but an OEM clutch behind a stock motor. I've never had any problems with an OEM one.

Motor mounts are a different story...my driver's side one came out in 4 pieces. I run the MORE poly ones now and they're terrific for throttle response and drivetrain rigidity...I don't notice much of an increase in vibration either (at idle). Going down the road I'm sure the 39.5" unbalanced bias-ply Iroks have a lot more to do with any vibes.

Back