• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

C-clip axles

Kilted XJer

NAXJA Forum User
How big of a weak point are they? I'm planning on beefing up my stock 8.25. People tell me I should go with an 8.8, but don't they have c-clips too?

Is there any way around the c-clips?

C clip elminators. But they are not the best for off road. Mostly for track use.

Although, IIRC, Superior sells a C clip elminator kit for the 8.8, their super 88 kit or something like that.

What spline is the 8.25? Either way, it would still be the same. I really wouldn't worry about it too much. Just carry spare shafts and C clips.

The c-clips aren't a weak part of the shaft, because there shouldn't be a load on them (or the groove that they fit in) at all. Their only purpose is to keep the shafts in the diff. The reason c-clips are undesireable is because if the shaft breaks, it can work its way out of the axle and the wheel falls off. That can be problematic on the trail.

And yes you are correct, the 8.8 has c-clips as well.

Disk brakes will hold the axleshaft in place if it snaps...

Yucca-Man said:
The 8.25's are drum brake and the axle will come out within about 100ft. If you have an 8.8 with rear disks the shaft should stay put at least long enough to get you off the trail. There are at least a couple of companies who make c-clip eliminators for the 8.8. I wish there was a company who made them for the 8.25.

jeeperjohn said:
The 8.25's are drum brake and the axle will come out within about 100ft. If you have an 8.8 with rear disks the shaft should stay put at least long enough to get you off the trail. There are at least a couple of companies who make c-clip eliminators for the 8.8. I wish there was a company who made them for the 8.25.
That's why ya build up the C8.25 with disks ;)

XJTony said:
I wouldnt be concerned about it .....be more concerned about the Dana 30 in the front ....

lets bash the turdy again.......hasta

:doh:

Yucca-Man said:

Yeah, but you shouldn't be going over 3MPH and limipng your broke ass back to camp.

I've seen a few brake calipers get ripped right off from folks doing exaclty that, trying to drive a c-clip rear end with the false belief that the brakes will hold it on.

Back