• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

chip

I gained a HUGE maount on my VW form one..but thats a turbo car. With the I6, you will notice power with the STAGE2, AND othe rmods. If yu have a full exhaust/intake and throw the stage2 on there, it will improve. By huge ammounts? Nah...but im willing to bet it owuld improve.

I talked to the guy's in a performance shop here and they said don't bother with the jet. So I called Hesco and ordered a Uni chip. I have stroked my 4L inline 6. I didn't notice a big gain in seat of the pants but my gas milage improved significantly and it runs properly. Plus the Uni chip is programable.

I was satisfied with the results of the stage 2 in my 94 and it definitely complemented the Borla exhaust, 62mm bored TB, FIPK, and 99 intake. I now have a 96 so if you are looking for a stage 2 chip. . .

jeeperjohn said:
A chip is a particularly poor mod for bang for your buck. High cost and low gain. Your money would be much better spent on other mods.

it looks like the consensus is on your side, though I've read some positive posts for the chip.
Without going too far, I think that a TB from a 4.0L will give me something(throttle response - some more torque) combined with air filter and possible a new exhaust. And cost-wise it will be equal to the chip.

cstilesiscool said:
fine in big trucks with V-8's. fordy, chevy, dodge. used them on 6 cylinders before with no big gains.

I agree, they can make a significant difference in newer V8s, but not in our XJs. Even so, there are better products out there for the V8s.

A good friend of mine got one for his 98 4.0 because his shop sold them. After noticing no gain, he decided to stop selling them! He didn't feel he could honestly tell a customer they were worth the money.

Back