• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wa emissions question

w_howey

NAXJA Forum User
Is the test a sniffer only, or is it the visual test and a sniffer???

How bad are they about leaking oil, or non-stock exhausts, etc.?

It's a sniffer on a dyno....both idle speed and at about 2500 rpm.

I've never noticed anyone looking under the hood or anywhere else.

That's if it's pre OBD. 96+ they just plug in the adapter and check your gas cap. OBD I, I'm unsure. I do know they're either too lazy or just don't care enough to crawl under somebody's car.

THey're correct.... pre '96 is strictly a sniff test. They dyno if it's under 8500gvw, unless it's AWD or a few other exceptions. They don't care what's under the hood, what's been done to it, etc. as long as it passes the sniffer.

J

What do they do for AWD???
My wife's ZJ is AWD.

I live in the part of Illinois not stupid enough to do emissions testing, so I have never gone thru this mess.

I think AWD is sniff only or as John said, OBD plug in only, since you can't run it on the dyno.

to be honest i have yet to make a jeep fail, running horrible, no cat, leaking everywhere, i think your okay usually, at least in sw washington.

just went through last week... no cat flowmaster all new 2.5" with banks headers and yes my check engine like was on.... not a problem.... passed flying colors.... never looked at a thing...

Back