• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

P/S Pump Pulley

ptf18

NAXJA Forum User
Going to replace the P/S pump pulley on my 88XJ and would like to know how far onto the shaft it should be installed?

I had it replaced a couple years ago but being that the pulley wobbles I dont think it was installed correctly. This may be causing my belt chirpping.

I thought there was a bulletin out from Jeep about this topic.

Thanks

The pully is press-fit onto the shaft, and applying some never-seez to the pump shaft or the pully bore will help you (do not get any on the screw threads or threaded hole!)

Run the nut down until the pully face is flush with the front of the shaft is how I've always understood it. Considering it's about a .0015" press-fit (as I recall,) it shouldn't "wobble" - if it does, check the shaft bearing, beacuse the whole shaft is probably moving around.

If you're willing and able, it would help to heat the pully up to about 400* in the oven for 30 minutes before installing - it may just slip right on. Be sure to wear gloves (duh!) and make sure it doesn't go on too far (you can use the screw, nut, and washer usually used to press the thing on as a stop, and have the thing hanging pully down to cool.)

Back