• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ok, steering problem

St3mpy

NAXJA Forum User
OK, I hvae a 97 xj, completly stock, base modle aside from the 4.0l. I'm new here, so if the problem is asked everyday, forgive me. The steering is loose, very loose. The dealer said that its got to do with a wornotu part, and will fix it for $400. Now, its not my jeep yet, my parrets, but is this something that I can fix myself? Also, the damn button on the emergancy brake popped off,, anyway I can get it back on? I've tried for 2 hours, but I'm clueless. Thanks in advace.

First, the easy stuff--use epoxy to glue the emergency brake button on to the end of the shaft, and hold with tape until it hardens overnite.

Now, the steering: What EXACTLY did the dealer say was the "worn out part(s)"?

Depending on what it is, and your level of mechanical expertise, you may be able to fix it. But we gotta know what is supposedly worn out, so as to give you a clue as to how much effort you would be taking on.

AZ Jeff said:
First, the easy stuff--use epoxy to glue the emergency brake button on to the end of the shaft, and hold with tape until it hardens overnite.

Now, the steering: What EXACTLY did the dealer say was the "worn out part(s)"?

Depending on what it is, and your level of mechanical expertise, you may be able to fix it. But we gotta know what is supposedly worn out, so as to give you a clue as to how much effort you would be taking on.

I was going to do that, but whats that big black rubber thing for? Don't know how it was put in there. And the steering, he did'nt really have a name for it, jjust sadit that in the power steering mechanisim, there is a plastic part that is getting worn out, and it will countiune to get worse untill it will stop responding to movement. And this dosn't have a tilt wheel if that helps.

St3mpy said:
And the steering, he did'nt really have a name for it, jjust sadit that in the power steering mechanisim, there is a plastic part that is getting worn out, and it will countiune to get worse untill it will stop responding to movement. And this dosn't have a tilt wheel if that helps.

That doesn't help. There are many parts in the steering system that can wear, and any one of them being worn will cause looseness in the steering.

Also, every one of them has a name ... a very specific name. If he told you and you don't remember what he said, I can understand that but it doesn't help us to help you. On the other hand, if he actually told you it "doesn't have a name," then he's blowing smoke and you should take it elsewhere for a second opinion.

How many miles on the odometer? I find it hard to believe that a '97 could have a $400 part in the steering so badly worn that it's ready to fail.

By the way -- there aren't many (maybe none) plastic parts in the steering. Somethin' ain't right here.

Eagle said:
By the way -- there aren't many (maybe none) plastic parts in the steering. Somethin' ain't right here.

Now, Eagle, you know that's not true--the STEERING WHEEL is made of plastic:D

Levity aside, Eagle is right--we need a lot more specifics before we can help you. Also, maybe you can give us an idea of what your level of mechanical repair experience is. That, too, can help determine if this is a job you will want to attack yourself, or something you leave to someone with more expertise, tools, etc.

Well, I was going to get an anserw, and then decide for myself if I can tackel the job. I'm pretty sure that he had a name, but I don't rember. And theres 130000 miles on the odometer.

Ok, I have some more info about the part that needs replacing; inorder to get to it, you have to take off the dash pannel. And its not necsisarly plastic. And it'll cost $1000 bucks,not 400, that was to do with the emergancy brake.

Not the (steering) gearbox -- that's under the hood, not under the dashboard. In fact, there aren't really any steering components under the dashboard, except the steering column ... which extends through the firewall, through the under-dash space, and then through the dashboard. This is on a '97? So it has an airbag, and I could see a complete replacement steering column with airbag costing obscene amounts of money.

What I cannot see is any reason to replace the steering column. They generally never go bad.

I think you need to get another opinion. Sounds to me like the guy is BS'n you.

Aight, sounds good, thanks.

Hmm, ca better describtion of the problem is that, It takes like 1/4 a turn inrfer to get the steering to react, and it kinda sways from side to side.

Last edited:
Have someone who knows Jeeps check your track bar.

I have a similar problem. I can move my steering wheel about 1/4 to 1/2 inch before the tires start to move. I have looked under the front while someone was turning the wheel, but nothing was really moving except the steering shaft. Could it be the steering gear going bad.

It's on a 93 Country with 199200 miles on it.

Thanks

Back